Recycled T-Shirt Toddler Pants & Gauchos

Recycled T-Shirt Toddler Pants & Gauchos via lilblueboo.com
T-shirt pants have been around forever right up there with pillowcase dresses. There are so many tutorials out there. I have a few friends who are just starting to sew so I thought I’d post my own tutorial with updated measurements and tweaks that I’ve incorporated into the PERFECT t-shirt pants. (disclaimer: perfect for me, maybe not so perfect for everyone else)
Recycled T-Shirt Toddler Pants & Gauchos cut via lilblueboo.com
I call them “gauchos” now because as your child gets taller you’ll find that you start to lose the length because t-shirts are only so big! These little pants/gauchos are so easy to make and have endless creative possibilities! My tutorial is at the bottom of this post and is easy to download and print!
These were my favorites by far that I made when Sienna was a year old. I made them from one of my t-shirts that featured a cupcake on the front. I attached the cupcake portion using an applique technique on one of the pants legs before sewing the pants together (see my applique tutorial).
Recycled T-Shirt Toddler Pants & Gauchos 2 via lilblueboo.comRecycled T-Shirt Toddler Pants & Gauchos 3 via lilblueboo.com
These cute little pants were made from a white undershirt and the detail was done using reverse applique. I made a matching t-shirt as well. You can see the detail of the pants here. My reverse applique tutorial is easy to follow as well!
Recycled T-Shirt Toddler Pants & Gauchos 4 via lilblueboo.comRecycled T-Shirt Toddler Pants & Gauchos 5 via lilblueboo.com
The pair below was made from a black Superman shirt. I cut out the Superman logo and sewed it onto one of the legs before I sewed the pants together.

Recycled T-Shirt Toddler Pants & Gauchos 6 via lilblueboo.com
These gauchos were made from an old Carolina Panthers t-shirt. I originally started making them for a friends son but the length wasn’t long enough. They are now Sienna’s lounge pants!

Recycled T-Shirt Toddler Pants & Gauchos 7 via lilblueboo.com
Sienna loves comfortable clothes!
Recycled T-Shirt Toddler Pants & Gauchos 8 via lilblueboo.com
A few tips:
1. If you are going to add applique or other detail, add it AFTER you cut the pants out but BEFORE you sew them.
2. Measure your child’s inseam first and adjust the length of your pattern to match. You can make shorts, capris, pants…. endless possibilities!
Email me if you have any questions! I’m glad to help in anyway!
T-Shirt Pants Tutorial

Comments

1. Future Mama says

Wow!! You are SO talented!! I'm not sure I can do that but now I know the possibility exists! Man, thanks so much for the awesome tip! And your little girl… too cute! Watch out! 😉

I found you via SITS by the way!

2. Your cool friend Cheryl says

Wow, you are the queen of re-purposing tshirts! I love it!

I'm so excited to try this…finally a cute "boy" project! I feel like all the cute projects out there are for dresses and ruffly things. This is great!

3. ella says

those are awesome! thanks for visiting my blog :)
    You can also make great gaucho pants (using the same technique) with bandanas. My kids would stop traffic in those when they were little.

4. Design it Chic says

Oh these tiny clothes makes me smile big! I love the tutorials you're putting up here. I may try do some of them one day! Thanks for sharing!
    Happy Sunday!

5. AB HOME INTERIORS says

Im with Sienna, comfortable clothes, rock! popping in from SITS to leave ya' some bloggy lovin!

6. Amy says

saw these on nannygoat blog… love them! Will have to try this out! Thanks for the tutorial!

7. Missy says

I saw these on nannygoat, too. Wow, are they cute! I may just have to give this a try. Both of my girls would love these!

8. Your cool friend Cheryl says

I am now seriously addicted to making these! I linked to this tutorial after I made a bunch today.

9. Sonja Hoyle says

I stumbled on your blog recently, after loving your posts on "One Pretty Thing". Anywho, these pants really intrigued me, and I thought, "hmmm, I wonder if my tall 4-year old (although wears size 6) would be too big. Well I'm happy to report "NO! She's not!" I modified your pattern somewhat and used a large t-shirt, and the capris are perfect!!! THANKS for such a great idea! I'm hooked! CHEERS — Sonja

10. Kriss says

Thank you so much for this tutorial! I was having a hard time finding pants to match a superman shirt I made for my son for Halloween. I was able to go buy a shirt in the same shade and make the pants to match his shirt. Great idea! -kriss

11. Advantagepapers says

I think that the Recycled T-Shirt Toddler Pants & Gauchos is really one thing to get know about I think that this is really a good information to have for knowledge.

Custom Essay

12. myterm says

Excellent and well planned design, especially how this will be a universal template, thanks for showing that with your template that it is easy to get photo realistic shirt prints.

Regards!
    Custom essay

13. Mark says

Thanks for reading and your encouragement. It was an issue that has been on my heart for quite some time and I enjoyed addressing it to the best of my ability. Glad you agree.Try the most comfortable pants in universe today.

14. Connie says

My sewing skills were not much to speak of until recently. I made a fitted sheet and simple quilt when my eldest daughter was born 4 years ago so my husband decided I’m good enough at sewing to upholster our boat. After this project, I decided I could do anything and am now obsessed with making clothes for my daughters, getting ideas from talented ladies like yourself. I’m excited to make these. They’re awesome. If only there were T-shirts big enough to make myself a pair!!

You are so talented and inspiring.