Fabric Heaven

While at my sister’s wedding, I set aside one morning to visit Mary Jo’s in Gastonia, NC. I have loved exploring this place ever since I was a little girl. Mary Jo’s is celebrating 58 years this year!

Fabric Heaven via lilblueboo.com
Mary Jo is still there everyday….you can see her in the below photo (black sweater):

Fabric Heaven 2 via lilblueboo.com
Fabric Heaven 3 via lilblueboo.com
Fabric Heaven 4 via lilblueboo.com

Fabric Heaven 5 via lilblueboo.com
Fabric Heaven 6 via lilblueboo.com
Fabric Heaven 7 via lilblueboo.com
Fabric Heaven 8 via lilblueboo.com
Fabric Heaven 9 via lilblueboo.com
Fabric Heaven 10 via lilblueboo.com
Fabric Heaven 11 via lilblueboo.com
Fabric Heaven 12 via lilblueboo.com

Fabric Heaven 13 via lilblueboo.com
Fabric Heaven 14 via lilblueboo.com

Fabric Heaven 15 via lilblueboo.com
Anybody else been there? If you live nearby it is worth the drive…..the prices are incredible! No tax if you let them ship it to you over state lines!

Comments

Comments

sweet limes says:

I think I'm in love! I've never seen such beautiful pictures in my life. The selection, the colours. I MUST go there one day!

Happy Together says:

Now, if only I could find a place like that near me… My husband would probably never see me again!! lol

the cookie cutter says:

oh my gosh, heaven on earth!I could spend a day in a shop like that!!

Crafty Mom says:

WOW!!!! That is an amaaaaazing store. I could drop a LOT of money at that place!

CraftLadyof Steel says:

this looks better than maud…..project runway

Stephen, Erin and the Shrimp Sandwich says:

I LOVE THEM!!! I used to live in Charlotte and now we are back in Raleigh and I miss Mary Jos. However, I'll be in Charlotte for Thanksgiving and I already have a plan to stop by Mary Jos.

BJ_Mama says:

WOW!!! I wish I knew about this place when my hubby was stationed in NC! Looks like HEAVEN for sure!

Lauren says:

Oooh, I'm going to have to go the next time I'm nearby – thanks for the tip!

Char says:

Wow. Wow. Wow.

Lo says:

WOW! I would love to go there!!

Heather says:

Yes!!! I believe that place would be dangerous for me – love all that fabric goodness!

Stephanie says:

OH MY GOODNESS! I'm in shock right now! That looks like a little piece of heaven for me :)
    I'm DEFINITELY sending this link to the hubby…maybe he'll take the hint!
    Thanks for sharing!

Amanda@ISewDoYou says:

Holy Fabric Heaven! That place looks awesome!! Isn't it funny what makes a girl's heart skip a beat :)

Melanie says:

Wow. I'm crossing my fingers we are in NC someday. I'll start saving up now. :)

katevet says:

OMG. I have never seen a fabric store like this one. seems impossible to choose only few fabrics!

Adrienne says:

I went to that store last year and HAD A BALL!!! I had SO much fabric to bring back home with me! LOL I hope I can get back there one day soon! LOL

Wren says:

Wow!! I can't even wrap my mind around that much sewing stuff in one room. It would be like going into Powell's Bookstore–maybe even more amazing. You've given me a new goal–find a way to get to Mary Jo's!!! ;-)

Julie says:

Whoo-! I need to visit their website! I'm loving the Chenille isle! =) Loving all the colors, prints… THX for sharing!

Bridgette says:

That's it…I am moving to NC! That is amazing!

kristen says:

your blog is so fantastic!! I just found it last night and am just loving all the clothes and stuff that you make. you are so creative!!! i try and sew but have really never been taught but you give me so much hope!! i just love all the t shirt dresses too!!

mommabear says:

Why, oh why do I have to live in the midwest? That store could lose me for hours!

Ariel says:

Fabuoloise!!!!

Lynette says:

I am soo drooling right now…all that fabric..and trims…oh my! I wish I were there right now!

K says:

I was planning to comment that your sister had beeyootiful weather for her wedding if it was Saturday. We were at an air show in Monroe, NC that day. Mary Jo's is fantastic but can be a little overwhelming for a new sewist like me. Try to go to MJ's on a weekday as Saturdays are jam-packed! I do love to go: the prices, the selection… Can't be beat in the area! So glad you got to go there!

Rowanmayfairs says:

I went to Joann's Fabric for the first time in Sept ..and I was in heaven..

I live in a small town of 300 people and MILES (1-2hrs)from a fabric store (except walmart!)

Spent at least an hour drooling over the fabric while my hubby fussed it was BORING and he would wait in the car.

Mormishmom says:

That is seriously heaven!! Too bad I'm on the opposite coast :(

Mia says:

I am in love with this place! Thank you for the eye candy! I am SEW going to check this place out!

Shannon ONeal says:

Oh my goodness…I want to go to there.

Donna @ Mudpies and Memories says:

My best friend has gone there with her mama for years. She keeps telling me we need to make a trip there. Thank you so much for the pictures! It will definitely be worth the couple hour drive!!!

Shari and Amber says:

Oh. My. Gawd.

I would get lost and never come out for hours. Probably be a whole weekend before I even made a single selection :)

Becky says:

I remember going there with my mom when I was a kid. I have been twice as a grown-up, lol. I live about 2 hours away from it now. Your pictures show what the store really looks like better than their website. Absolutely amazing store!

Stephanie Sabbe says:

so funny. My mother in law goes there every chance she gets. We once took a trip to see my brother in law in Raleigh…she told us the fabric store was on the way, from Knoxville, TN…which it was about a 2 hour detour, but she was a happy lady.

Why can't one of those be in my area!

Diana says:

Ho-LY Cow! That is insane!!

kendall says:

I live in Charlotte and I LOVE Mary Jo's! I just have to be careful that I don't overspend.

Disney says:

Well I think that just made all the sewers' hearts go pitter patter!! What gorgeous and delicious photos! I want to go shopping now….

Hannah Stevenson says:

I just drooled on my keyboard. Heavenly!

Leora says:

Mary Jo's is the best fabric store ever!! I went the first time my junior year in high school, when my mom and I started a long history of sewing all my formal dresses. From formal silk prom dresses to concert wear to my beautiful hand-embroidered ivory silk scalloped wedding dress, Mary Jo's has been a big part of many special events in my life! I'm planning a trip soon to buy fabric for home projects! Can't wait!

Your cool friend Cheryl says:

Ahhhhhh, how I wish I could get lost in there for hours. Those pictures are making me drool!

Cherry Tree Lane says:

SERIOUSLY?!
    That is like Disneyland! I MUST GO!

Drat. I live in CA.

MJ says:

Ok, I MUST go there someday…MY name is Mary Jo! Both my parents and in-laws live in Virginia…maybe I'll have to drive to NC on one of our trips out there!

Cole's Corner says:

That is fabric heaven… I want to go there when I die!

Amy says:

I LOVE, LOVE, Love Mary Jo's! My mom, sister, and I drive up from Florida at least twice a year just to visit that store. Great selection and prices….and we have SO.MUCH.FUN. on our girly getaways! Great post….makes me wish we were leaving tomorrow instead of in January :)

Sonja Hoyle says:

Oh.my.gosh! *drooling*
    It's probably a good thing I'm located so far from that store, as I forsee I would take up permanent residence there! I especially *heart* the notions…oh wait, I *heart* the fabric more! Oh heck, I *heart* it all!!
    My hubby should be so lucky we don't have a store like that here! On a separate note, pics from your sister's wedding are so beautiful! CHEERS!

MyAwesomeOliveShoots says:

Very cool! It sounds like you are a very talented person! I heart MaryJo's too!

sofia's sketchbook says:

woooooooow!!!!! to mary jo's

woooooooow!!!! to all those awesome pictures you took there!!!!!

woooooooooow!!!! to all these awesome posts!!!

woooooooooow!!!!!!i can't keep up!!!!!

Leigh Ann says:

Ok…did I write this blog? I keep clicking and reading and you seem to be writing what I am thinking, creating, fascinated with, etc… For example. I bought a remnant of this gray butterfly cord fabric that I loved but just couldn't come up with the perfect project for, and bam! I click on a picture of your lovely little girl and there she is in a gorgeous dress with just this fabric! And I made myself and applique tshirt out of the pink skulls fabric for halloween, and a few days later I found your site where you showed how to reverse applique a skull (just like I did) with the exact same fabric! It doesn't end there. About 3 weeks ago, a friend told me about Mary Jo's Cloth Store and today I read that you have been there! It just goes on and on… I am bookmarking this site just to see what I am thinking next!

Pat B. says:

WOW!!! I would dtotally feel like I had died and gone to "Fabric Heaven", too!!!!!

Pat B

dana says:

Oh MAN. I would go NUTSO in that store!

picknstitch says:

I want to go, I want to go, I want to go…. Why does it have to exist across the country from me?

jsangel says:

I really do hope that the real Heaven looks something like that! What an AMAZING store!!!!

Laura says:

gracious sakes alive. that's one huge fabric store!

Rebecca of Sunny Morning Farm says:

Wow! Thanks for reminding me about Mary Jo's. I recently lost a very dear friend to cancer. She and I made a slew of dance costumes for dance studios all over the east coast last winter and she always spoke of Mary Jo's. She purchased most of the materials at her store. She always said we would go down together. She said the place was magical!!!

Mary Jo's Cloth Store says:

Thank-you so much for featuring Mary Jo's Cloth Store on your blog. We appreciate you dropping by and are happy that you were delighted with your experience. Your photos look great! Looking forward to seeing you again, soon. Can you send in a few photos of your "Mary Jo Cloth" projects. We would love to feature them on the blog.
    Thanks,
    KDB
    Blog Editor,
    maryjoscloth-design.blogpot.com

Caci says:

I absolutely LOVE LOVE oh yeah LOVE Mary Jo's! We live about 20 minutes away and visit often. Well as often as the bank account will allow, LOL!! Thanks for featuring such a great place!

FitForAPrincess says:

Haha! It's the seamstress' Promised Land!
    I would give anything to have a store like that near here.

1. [...] to visit and do a little shopping. Many of the same women still work there from when I was little! The last time I went was November 2009 and I went with my sister when we were visiting a few weeks ago. I always take my [...]