Animal Sock "Pom-Poms": A Tutorial

I love these little socks that I pick up at our local street fair in Palm Desert. They are from Japan and I adore the Japanese writing on them! They come with ducks, pandas, pigs, rabbits and other animals and each one is just adorable.

How to make animal pom socks diy tutorial via lilblueboo.com
Boo loves to mix and match the animals:

How to make animal pom socks diy tutorial via lilblueboo.com
You can easily make a similar simplified version using some felt and thread. I started with these simple shapes for a pig:

How to make animal pom socks diy tutorial via lilblueboo.com
First I stitched the light pink pig head to the dark pink background (will become the pig’s body):

How to make animal pom socks diy tutorial via lilblueboo.com
Then I stitched the light colored snout piece into place with contrasting thread for the nostrils:

How to make animal pom socks diy tutorial via lilblueboo.com
I used the same thread to add some contrast to the ears:

How to make animal pom socks diy tutorial via lilblueboo.com
I added eyes using black thread:

How to make animal pom socks diy tutorial via lilblueboo.com
Then I trimmed the large dark pink felt piece down into a smaller oval shape for the body……

How to make animal pom socks diy tutorial via lilblueboo.com
………and cut an identical piece for the back:

How to make animal pom socks diy tutorial via lilblueboo.com
I place the two oval pieces right sides together and began stitching them together at the outside. As I stitched towards the bottom I placed a small dark pink ovals halfway in to make a foot:

How to make animal pom socks diy tutorial via lilblueboo.com
I stitched a few times around the foot to secure it in place:

How to make animal pom socks diy tutorial via lilblueboo.com
Continuing to stitch along the bottom….until it was time to insert the other foot:

How to make animal pom socks diy tutorial via lilblueboo.com
I stitched all the way around to the other side of the pig, leaving an opening at the top. I turned the pig right side out and inserted a small amount of stuffing:

How to make animal pom socks diy tutorial via lilblueboo.com
Pinching the opening shut….here is what my little pig looked like at this point:

How to make animal pom socks diy tutorial via lilblueboo.com
I carefully folded the front top edge over the back edge and stitched it shut:

How to make animal pom socks diy tutorial via lilblueboo.com
I used some light pink DMC thread to add a little tail at the top:

How to make animal pom socks diy tutorial via lilblueboo.com
Finally I stitched the pig to the back of a sock:

How to make animal pom socks diy tutorial via lilblueboo.com
A finished animal “pom-pom” for your sock!

How to make animal pom socks diy tutorial via lilblueboo.com
These would be great a great way to re-purpose your mismatching socks!

Comments

comments

Comments

ForeverYou says:

Love it Ashley! COOL ! I love it

Very cute. But……have you tried them in the washing machine yet?

They wash fine….we've had a bunch of them for about a year! But I wash everything on gentle….no dryer.

Ack! Too cute!!!

holy detail!!!! wow, they are amazingly cute. We have a lot of mismatched socks around our house. :(

Red Door Home says:

Soooo cute!

Elle's Mom says:

super cute!!

oh amazing! my daughter had a pair of tinkerbell sox with pom-poms of her head and we have never been able to find anything like it again! thnx so much for sharing!

Kelly @ Make It Sparkly Mama says:

How much fun is that! And something my littlest guy would like too! Thanks for the inspirations!

Sew Pretty Dresses says:

Oh that is so cute!

How cute!! I think I might have to do this for some mis-matched socks that we have around our house…

The Cottage Mama says:

SO cute!! We have the same socks at our house – my daughter, Savannah loves the little animals! Thanks for the tutorial – now I can make her some more when she grows out of the other ones!!

Lindsay

PeaceLoveApplesauce says:

Too cute! I love this idea!

Sheila Irish says:

Ashley, is there nothing you can't do? Thank you so much for sharing this absolutely adorable tutorial with us!

very, very cute…great idea for mismatched socks too…

Those are SO adorable!! what a great idea!

sofia's sketchbook says:

i'm gonna make some panda ones….chimi is panda this and panda that…..looooooooooove siennas's shoes…….

Genius! I just love this! Fantastic idea for mismatched socks. so so so cute! Thank you for sharing! :)

Felt-o-rama says:

Too darn cute!!

You creativeness is AWESOMENESS! Share just a lil…pa-pa-pa-please?!

Sewing-Chick says:

That pig is the cutest thing I. Have. Ever. Seen.

I can't imagine sewing it though… I hate sewing tiny things!

These are so cute Ashley!

Those socks are adorable…but what I really love are those shoes! Wherever did you find them?

CraftCrave says:

Thank you! This blog post will be advertised on CraftCrave in the Handcraft category today (look for timestamp: [16 Feb 01:00pm GMT]).

luvinthemommyhood says:

You're killing me with the cuteness of those little pigs…ohhhh. You know I couldn't not add them to our "link luv roundup" today. http://bit.ly/cz2eus

Aisyah Helga says:

Adorable!! I've linked this to my blog. Thanks for sharing!

adorable, i really need to buy some felt!

Adorable!! Great job on something so small, too!!

If you know, what kind of felt did you use? Was it the thin kind you can buy in smallish pieces at the craft store, or the thicker stuff (which I have only seen by the bolt or online)?

Thanks!!

I Love these! I think I need to make a few for christmas stockings! Very Cool.

1. LBB Fan Appreciation Day | Lil Blue Boo says:

[…] you missed the tutorial on how to make them yourself click here! Filed Under: Giveaway, Toys and […]