A Template for Hemming

A template for hemming via lilblueboo.com

I can’t stand ironing. Any clothing creation that calls for ironing…..ugh. I will do anything to shorten my ironing time, and I never had any luck with those metal ironing guides, so I created these little templates. If I have an outfit that I sew over and over again I’ll make a template that gets stored with the pattern pieces so it’s handy and I don’t have to remember what the measurements for seams or hems are.

This particular dress I worked on today I usually hem by ironing a 1/2″ fold and then a 1.25″ fold. I made a template just for this dress….so the whole process is foolproof and the hem is perfectly precise. I start by cutting a piece of poster board or heavy cardstock and then cutting small slits at 1/2″ and 1.25″ using an exacto knife. The slits aren’t continuous so that the template is more durable:

A template for hemming via lilblueboo.com
The template makes marking my folds a breeze….I can create hems with my eyes closed.

First, I just line up the template with the bottom of the fabric.

A template for hemming via lilblueboo.com
Then I use a disappearing ink pen to mark the entire length of the first fold…..

A template for hemming via lilblueboo.com
….and then the entire length of the second fold. I repeat this all the way across the piece of fabric.

A template for hemming via lilblueboo.com
Then I fold my fabric on the line and iron.

A template for hemming via lilblueboo.com
A perfect hem…….

A template for hemming via lilblueboo.com
……for a cute little silk screened party dress soon to be revealed in my shop :)

A template for hemming via lilblueboo.com
Just a little glimpse into my sewing process!

Comments

1. SAMZE says

Wow!!! That is soooo clever! Thank you soooo much for sharing that! Really! I will have to try that! :)

2. Sam says

That is such a BRILLIANT idea! I appear to be physically unable to press/fold a straight line. I am going to make one of these immediately.

Thanks :-)

Sam x

3. RusticOkie says

That is SUCH a great idea and I'm going to steal it. 😉 I hate hems and they never work right for me. Yea for this.

4. okinokiyo says

omg, this is clever! I never thought of doing this.recently I asked my friend to help me sewing and she did the hem a bit bigger than I asked. So this is a brilliant solution. Thanks Ashley for sharing! Have a nice day :)

5. Mrs. Sassy Crafter says

What a great idea! So clever! and don't worry you are not the only one who hates the ironing part, I totally do too! Making hems is a nightmare for me, but I will try and make a template myself to see how it goes! Thanks for sharing =)

6. SuzyQSparkles says

Thanks for sharing this idea!

I use to use the little metal 6" ruler (and still do on occasion) but more often, I "just eyeball it". I have a great eye for things being level/straight, and often find (with things on straight of grain) that they tend to "fold themselves".

For things with a curve, or where you want the same measurements over and over, this is a clever solution.

7. Cheryl @ a pretty cool life. says

I didn't make a fancy template like you, but I draw lines with invisible ink and fold up to them when I iron a hem. Never thought to blog about that…

I will do anything to avoid using a hem gauge!! 😉

8. mary says

Wow Thank you so much for sharing that. I am so going to use that with my hemming. I hate to iron as well and am not a very precise person. So this little trick will be a HUGE help in making my girls hems turn out right.

9. Emily says

I hate pressing too!

I've marked a piece of paper with hem widths, and I press with the paper inside the fold, if that makes any sense. Basically same thing you do but with no marking on the fabric – just leave the paper in the middle and press!

10. Karin van D. says

Oh, I press all the time during my sewing. I wouldn't know what to do without my iron. But I am a weirdly fanatic pinner too. I heard a little while ago that some people hardly every pin. I pin everything! With all that sewing and pinning, no wonder I am so slow with my sewing 😀

Anyway, I only wanted to say that I love those colours together in that last shot. Can't wait to see the whole dress.

11. Jodi Jean says

GENIUS!!!

no more LAME seam gauges for me!!

thanks for sharing ashley. i always love looking into other sewer's studios!!

12. cb says

Why didn't I think of that :-) What a great idea. Thank you so much for sharing it with us. I came here through Craft Gossip newsletter.

Thanks again from Australia
    Katherine

13. vamdep says

Brilliant…I think I will create this and cut it out of thin plastic on my Cricut!! Thanks!!

14. subuh says

Hi,

we've put your link in our blog – printedcotton.blogspot.com …its a great tutorial to be share ;).

thanks.

15. divaskychick says

I always think you're brilliant but today… HOLY COW. Thank you for this. Sometimes it's the little things, you know?

16. Katrina says

I love this tip/ tutorial! I hate hemming b/c I never think it's even. So this is perfect and right on time for me to use to hem my 2 yr olds Halloween costume.