Random Acts of Kindness (A Digital Short)

Boo's Random Acts of Kindness: Crafting it Forward via lilblueboo.com #raokdiy @michaelsstores

Boo was out of school today so we spent the morning making some little boxes for Boo to give away to random people she met on the street.  She hand wrote each box with a little note, stitched them, and filled them with little gifts to brighten people’s day. She even filled them with dollars from her wallet. Crafting it forward…..and we can make a ton of them using the 99 cent paper mache boxes from Michaels.

Boo wanted to leave them in the middle of the sidewalk but everyone just kept walking over her little boxes without noticing them…..so she started to give them out to random people she met. Sometimes it was because they said a kind word to her and other times it was just someone who ended up standing next to her at a cross walk.  My favorite part was the hummingbird that followed her around….you’ll see it.  I just get teary watching her in this short…Mr. LBB did too….I’m warning you ahead of time:

P.S. Boo dressed herself.  Leggings by Paperlili and top by Matilda Jane.

Comments

1. Bionca says

I love the video. Such a great idea, I can see my 6 year old doing this. She is such a little artist. This is definitely in our future. Thanks for the share. :)

2. lbreid25 says

Oh WOW! I loved it! Just had to watch it 3 times. What a sweet, sweet little one you have! Who wouldn’t LOVE getting a random gift from Boo? I’m sure she made many people smile with such sweetness! YOU are a wonderful mom!! Thanks so much for sharing this with us!!! :) :) Made my day!!!

3. Amy Rose Baldridge says

Well, if that wasn’t the most precious thing on Earth, I don’t know what is! I started crying as soon as the music started!! My midget would love to do this. She is ALWAYS making things to give to people… pictures, Bible verses that she copies, pennies… I tell Kennan about things that Boo says quite often. She’s always asking me if they can have a playdate :)
    I’m going to go blow my nose now…

4. Susie says

This couldn’t be sweeter! She totally made someone’s day! You were right, I cried! Thanks so much for sharing this–what a cutie she is!

5. Jeanne Van Buskirk says

Thanks so much for sharing this. I love random acts of kindness. I’m inspired thank you <3

I just wrote a Brief History of Me for my son’s birthday, ended it with a list, “Things I Know for Sure.” On the list is “Giving is one of the great joys in life.” Boo obviously knows it for sure, too. Beautiful.

7. Barbara H. says

Loved it Ashley- a little tearjerker for sure! I especially adore the messages that Boo stitched on the front of the boxes, what a wonderful experience you helped create for Sienna! I am homeschooling Willow now, so everyday is a “day off”… I’ll show this to her when she wakes up and see if she thinks she could work through her shyness to be able to do something similar- thanks for the inspirational idea! <3

8. Kelly K says

This is just beautiful. Boo is learning that it is just as sweet to give as it is to receive.
    Thank you for a heartwarming video.

9. Sarita says

YOU ARE LOVED

When I lost my husband one of my sorority sisters wrote a letter…I don’t remember anything but those three words. They pulled me through the darkest hours.

Your daughter is awesome. And I know there’s a beautiful angel smiling down on her right now. Xo

Such a wonderful and beautiful thing to do. You are raising such an amazing human being.
    On a side note, my husband listened to the music as I was watching and wanted to know if that was “I AM going to have a good day song for the morning.” I’m not sure what the song was, but it paired with the video certainly brightened my day.

11. Faye says

What a great project, and an artful video. I love the hand-stitched messages on the tops of the lids!

12. Kristie says

This video was so sweet. I love how personal her random acts of kindness were when she handed them to people. I think this is something my kids would love to create and share with others. Thank you for the idea.

13. Karen says

2 days in a row with tears from your videos! I love that at such a young age Boo has a sense of being kind to people in any capacity. Such a great gift for you and Mr. LBB to give to her. Thanks for sharing this- certainly inspiring and thought provoking on how to spread love around the world.

14. Sandy N says

Such a sweet video! What a wonderful day for her and for everyone that was lucky enough to get one of those fabulous boxes. I loved all of the handsewn messages on the top. You are an awesome mom, raising an awesome child. Thank you for sharing.=)

15. Hannah Martin says

What a wonderful, beautiful little girl. Her heart shines in this video. You should be so, so proud!

16. Elizabeth Scalzo says

It would have totally made my day to get one of the gifts from Boo or to watch someone else receive one. Such great things you are teaching your daughter.

What a great idea! I really want to try this with my four year old…we’re struggling with giving and donating and the like right now. Thanks the the great idea!

18. Heather S. says

Oh wow. This video really did make me tear up! Boo is so precious, and this is yet another idea from you that I’ll be tucking away for when I have kids! Have a great day! <3

19. Alice H says

You guys are raising her right! I tried to comment on the youtube video but it wouldn’t work for some reason.

20. Julie says

I was watching this video w my son and the first thing he said: Mom, we gave those bracelets to people, who needed some joy, too! :) Love the video!

21. Emily says

Thanks for the pick-me-up! Although did make tears well in my eyes. What a great lesson you are teaching your child!

22. MichelleElaine says

You did warn me….. This brought tears to my eyes and I’m not the only one. A few years ago we lived near our university and there were a lot of homeless people. We would put a “lunch” into a paper sack and pass them out at stop lights. We need to do that again. xo

23. Katie says

WOW Boo, you go girl! such an inspiration to all of us to be more kind and spread the love. You keep up the good work :)

24. Martine says

I didn’t get teary, I cried my eyes out !
    This is the sweetest thing a have ever seen.
    You have such a wonderful child.
    Love the moment when she gets a hug from a women after giving her a box.
    Greetings from Belgium, Martine

I have goosebumps after watching that beautiful video. My favorite parts: watching her stuff those little boxes full of goodies, including her own money. And the image of the man stopping to pick the box up off the ground. Thank you for sharing this! What a blessing.

26. Harmony L says

What a great video! Things like this always remind me that all it takes is a kind word, a smile, a little box to make people feel good.

27. Lee Wolfe says

I haven’t reas any of the other comments on here but all I can say is WOW! What a great thing Boo did. It makes feel so good when I see things like this and to know that there are still people willing to do something just because. I truly believe you and Mr LBB are raising a little girl that will help change the world.

28. Kimberly says

What a beautiful thing! The first thing that came to me regarding the hummingbird was, “maybe it’s her grandpa…”. She was passing on the choose joy and I just felt that maybe it was him there in spirit.

I loved that.

29. david littlefield says

Lil Blue Boo is adorable. My wife Michele has been a follower of yours for quite some time. She showed this video to me. I applaude your parenting. She is a wonderful little girl. Thanks for being inspirational.

30. kim says

this is such a precious little girl and video. shows that it doesn’t take much to change the world! keep up the good message you are sending!

31. judy livonius says

That is so neat!! What a great idea and way to teach our little ones. Boo looks beautiful and her heart matches with glowing inspiration for us all. xox

32. Kathryn says

Thank you for a valuable reminder! We need to spread more love wherever we can. You have a beautiful daughter – inside and out.

33. Lisa H says

Wow.. this teared me up. I wonder if that little hummingbird wasn’t your dad’s way of being involved in this…. as that’s how I wonder about things. You have a truly amazing and inspiring little girl…… which speaks to the truly amazing and inspiring parents she has.

34. Amanda says

I was so excited when I saw this crafting RAK floating around the blogoverse over the past few days. So. much. fun!
    And the video..wow, just wow.

I think that this is a GREAT idea! My daughter Aerieannah (Nonna) and I are working on being less selfish and more selfless. She is 5. Boo and her would make great friends. We will be making a trip to our old town -Erie PA- and we are talking about doing something similar to this in the MHA (Mental Health Administration) or the local shelters. Each day we discuss six-ten things we are grateful for that we take for granted, and some one else could be praying for. So, this video was AWESOME, and I was glad my five year old got teary eyed as well because she’s got heart. Thank you for all of your AWESOME ideas. This one will help many. Bless ya. P.s. tell Boo She did a great job dressing herself.
    Megan Slater
    And Aerieannah Noelle

36. Louise says

What an absolutely lovely sight! She did a wonderful job and you could really see the happiness she was spreading. I would definitely appreciate such a sweet gesture if I were the receiver.

If I am ever fortunate enough to become a mom, I want to be a mom like you. You are amazing and raising an amazing little lady. Thank you for your example.

38. Mandi says

What a wonderful little girl you have. The world is a better place because of her and your little family … May God shower you with his blessings!!!

39. Hope says

What a treasure….as I was watching my thought was what a wonderful gift to have been given. The hand sewn message blew me away. That in itself was touching. The ultimate is knowing that she is yours. How proud you must be.

40. wendie says

Love, love, LOVE it! What an awe-inspiring (or is it awwww-inspiring?) video! I am truly touched. Thanks so much for sharing your daughter’s beautiful heart with us!

41. boys4girls2 says

Ashley, what an inspiring and touching video. I just finished watching it with my hubby and I must tell you that it brought tears to his eyes (mine too).

42. Theresa Burt says

Darn, I couldn’t see it on my kindle, but I’m sure it was great. I love this idea and will have to do it with my little ones. Great idea!

43. Rachelle says

This is spectacular! I have a daughter Boo’s age, and what you and Boo have done sets the bar very high for the rest of us. This is the sweetest video I have seen. Well done, both of you!

44. Ashley Williams says

Ohhhh rip my heart out. COMMERCIALS make me cry, I don’t know what I was thinking watching this. She’s so spectacular.

45. shelley says

I wish the world could see this video to see how to show our love.
    I am inspired to also show random acts of kindness.
    I love you all dearly and eternally, your very fulfilled mom

Wow Ashley ! I am in awe of seeing such a pure hearted child. You and Mr LBB must be doing something darn right ! I’m still teary-eyed from seeing this video. I think the world’s future lies in compassionate and selfless people. If everybody would do RAOK once in a while, it would spread out like a bushfire and grow to immense proportions. If only the world’s deciders were touched by some of this giving fiber, I think we would all be better off. Thank you SO much for sharing and inspiring everyone and for sharing this wonderful child with this community. Even though I live in Canada, I feel like I know you both like friends and loved ones.

47. Christine says

Amazing!! So beautiful! My seven year old daughter is a fan of you and Sienna. She loved the video and said “let’s do that!” You are spreading love!!! Happy real Valentine’s Day to you and your family!

48. Jane says

Sitting here at work with the tears welling up and trying not to get too emotional. What a wonderful and precious daughter you have. Her heart had to be open to wanting to participate in this venture…some kids would have refused. I had just given a pineapple party favor I received and needed to find a good home for. Luckily a lady down my hallway mentioned that she collects pineapple things. Lightbulb moment…gave it to her on Monday and just got an e-mail of appreciation. Think I got a random act of kindness in without even realizing it. Your daughter will appreciate this video in 20 years when she comprehends even more about the world she grew up in. Thanks for sharing those loving moments with us and I agree that the hummingbird was a manifestation of her adoring grandpa.

49. Kary says

What a lovely thing to see children start at a young age to show kindness from their heart! It is so great to see parents that encourage children to follow their heart. These are the experiences that will stick with them when they grow up and build their character. Lovely video.

50. Lisa says

That is the greatest thing I’ve seen in a long time. What a good thing you are teaching that wonderful child.

• beats by dr dre pro says

Besides volume, the Pill’s other features include both an enter and an output jack. The Pill is in addition NFC-enabled, allowing for quick Wireless connections with other NFC devices, such as Android cell phones.

51. iralee says

that’s really sweet!!! giving is an important part of learning, i think its great that you are teaching this to her. and she looked so proud!!!

52. Jenn @ You know... that blog? says

My “Feel good” moment of the day; thank you! Well done video, too! So sweet. I’m going to show this to my youngest daughter when she gets home from school.

53. Joy T. says

SOOO awesome! I think my favorite was the old gentleman bending down and picking up her box… melts your heart!!!!!

54. Melody says

Love your blog! Always inspiring! I have an18 mo old and constantly hear people say they would hate for a child to grow up in this world we live in now. As long as there are people like you training their kids to be selfless and appreciative, I am not worried. I hope to teach mine the same every single day.

55. Tracey Ireland says

Kids have such pure hearts! Love that you are nuturing that in your little girl! It’s hard, I know, but your doing a great job! Just had to share with my facebook friends!

56. Wren says

I saw this in my feed but put off watching it because I didn’t want to be teary this week. Now I’m sorry I waited. I have marked this for something for my day care kids to do next year. They are a bit too small this year, but next year, watch out town!! Thanks for sharing!

WOW. Love this. So touching. I cried of course. I’m a mom, what can I say? Things like this really touch my heart. You are making lasting memories that will shape who your daughter becomes – and she’s going to grow into an amazing, compassionate woman. You rock, Ashley!

58. Angela L says

Your blog and your message is so inspirational. It is great that you are instilling such great values and creating lasting memories for your daughter.

59. Perla D says

Sometimes I feel overwhelmed with the day to day stresses or new worries of possible bad situations that are waiting for us. But reading your blog helps me to remember to choose joy. The video touched me and reminded me that choosing joy for myself is important but also sharing it and giving to others is important as well. Thank you and thanks to your family! :)

60. Cathy says

I’m glad to see Boo doing this!!

I took a homeless young woman and her three small children into my home. It was a struggle, but we managed, while I helped her attend nursing school. She graduated last May and was able to get her own place in November. I am so proud of her!!

Every time I’ve been allowed to share caring and my support with others, I think I’ve benefited more than they have!!

Keep up the good work and be proud of the beautiful little person you call Little Boo!!

61. Stacey says

Thanks so much for such a great example of teaching kids to pay it forward, She is lovely beyond words.

1. […] to see the most awesome video about an adorable six year old paying it forward? Click here! Print Friendly This entry was posted in Amy's Thoughts, Inspiration and tagged pay it forward, […]

2. […] Craft it forward. Make “You Are Special” boxes. […]