Fabric Shopping in L.A.

Lisa and I spent all day yesterday shopping in L.A.’s garment district. We had a great time despite the 100 degree heat! Our first stop was Michael Levine’s Loft:

The Loft is located above the Micheal Levine home decor fabric store:

Photobucket
And it is indeed a loft…..no air conditioning and VERY hot when it is 100 degrees outside!

Photobucket
But it is my favorite kind of store….lots of hidden treasure and you pay by the pound.

Photobucket
Be prepared to dig to the bottom of the boxes…..

Photobucket
……that is where the good stuff is!

The main Michael Levine store is across the street:

Huge selection:

My Lil Blue Boo card!

Photobucket
Here’s Jonathan…..he helped us cart bolts of fabric on multiple trips to the car….he was the best!

Photobucket
There are blocks and blocks of fabric stores in the area…..and some great steals:

Photobucket
After 6 hours of shopping we made it home with a huge stash of great inspiration I can’t wait to start digging into for some fall designs!

Photobucket

P.S. A HUGE thanks to my bestest pal Lisa for taking the trip with me…..she was my friend, personal assistant, moral support, treasure finder, photographer, map reader, delivery coordinator, purse holder all wrapped up into one!!! You rock Lisa!!! Love you!!!

P.P.S A HUGE thanks to Dana for taking the time months ago to write out my itinerary for me :) She has a post now on her blog you should check out!

Comments

comments

Comments

I remember Dana's post on this awhile back and thinking your post looks awfully familiar. I want to go fabric shopping in LA! Such a commute from OK. I think my husband would die if I brought home any more stuff. I can't even imagine your stash though I know you must burn through yours pretty quickly.

BeyondStitches says:

OMG! I would love to go fabric shopping in LA!! How I wish there was something similar to that here in Charlotte :-)

It looks like y'all had a great time! Can't wait to see what you come up with…by the way, you look fab in the BigBlueBoo :o)

2littlehooligans says:

WOW!! Thanks for the post. I can't get over that there is a fabric district!! Im in northern NH and best we are going to get is a fabric store, about 2 hours away, UGH! cute dress by the way.

That's one of the things I miss most about living in Southern California. The fabric district is always a "must stop" when we're in town for a visit. Somehow, I don't remember The Loft above Michael Levine. I wonder if it's relatively new or if I just missed it all those times? Glad you found some fun finds!

Soren Lorensen Design says:

I need to pick myself up off the floor from the jealousy and overwhelming emotions ;)
    Sooooo fab. Can't wait to see what you do with it all. xoxox

michelle@somedaycrafts says:

That looks like so much fun! I would love to be able to go fabric shopping there!

Marti crafts says:

Hi there I hope you dont mind Ive added your blog to my list of inspring sites to visit, Absolutley loving your work and creativeness!

Elle's Mom says:

Such a fun day! Fabric, fast food, no kiddos, and no time limits! Does it get any better??? xoxo

Man oh Man oh Man,
    I would loose a lot of cash in there.

Jami Balmet says:

Ooh I have always wanted to head down there!!!! maybe one of these weekends I actually will! Can I ask a question? Do you need a buisness license to shop at any of the stores? Are they wholesale shops?

If you have time and don't mind I'd love to know! I want to head down there and check it out but don't want to battle L.A. traffic to get there and not be able to buy anything ;) lol!

Jami @Intentionally Living…
    jamibalmet.blogspot.com
    My Email: jamibalmet@hotmail.com

I <3 Michael Levine's! They are super helpful… when I had a client who wanted an out of print fabric, they tracked it down and special ordered it for me from someone else they knew who had it… all at a reasonable price too!

Lil' Miss Polkadot says:

Ohhhhh this looks like fabric paradise !! Here in Spain there are no such stores :-((( HOw i wish it was possible for me to go shopping in these stores, fabric here is so expensive ! :-((( You are so lucky !

mama lost in the burbs says:

Great post! I've been thinking about making a trip down to LA for just this reason. I'm now giddy just thinking of all the fabric.
    I thank you, my husband may not :)

EvaBabeDesigns says:

I love the garment district! I bribe my husband to go with me by feeding him the bacon wrapped hot dogs!

1. [...] is a great place to find one-off finds and everything is priced by the pound (you can see photos from a trip last year to the Loft here). If you are buying in bulk you can ask to check out the warehouse for larger [...]