The Square Top (A Tutorial)

How to make an easy square top. DIY tutorial via lilblueboo.com

Super easy summer top…..made from a simple square piece of knit fabric. This top definitely has its roots in my mathematics background. I kept trying to visualize how to make it work with minimal sewing and finally one day it just clicked.  So here it is…..the Square Top. It’s a perfect project for a beginner!

Step 1: I cut a 30″ x 30″ square piece of knit fabric for Boo’s size (a solid 4T)…..I got that measurement by measuring from her shoulders to below her hip (15″). I folded it in half on the table and marked the center:

How to make an easy square top. DIY tutorial via lilblueboo.com

Step 2: I marked two 2.5″ semi circles on the fold about 3.5″ to the left and right of my center point for the arm holes (the 3.5″ measurement because I want the front and back piece to be about 7″ wide to cover her chest):

Step 3: I carefully cut out the semicircles:

How to make an easy square top. DIY tutorial via lilblueboo.com

Step 4: I cut the fold connecting the 2 circles…..creating the front and back edges of the top.

How to make an easy square top. DIY tutorial via lilblueboo.com

Step 5: I cut 3″ strips of fabric for the trim.  Two pieces 32″ long for the ties and 2 pieces long enough to trim the front and back edges (about 8″ each):

How to make an easy square top. DIY tutorial via lilblueboo.com

Step 6: My least favorite thing to do is make bias tape….so I cheated a little here. I folded the trim pieces in half and sew the edges shut….

How to make an easy square top. DIY tutorial via lilblueboo.com

…….very close to the edge:

How to make an easy square top. DIY tutorial via lilblueboo.com

Step 7: I ironed the pieces flat so the sewn edge is in the center where the fold will be:

How to make an easy square top. DIY tutorial via lilblueboo.com

Step 8: I folded the front trim around the top edge of the top and stitched carefully so the needle caught both sides:

How to make an easy square top. DIY tutorial via lilblueboo.com

The trim was slightly longer than the top edge so I just trimmed off the edges. Same process for the back top edge.

How to make an easy square top. DIY tutorial via lilblueboo.com

Step 9: I started at the center of the arm holes and pinned the center of the longer trim in place…..and pinned along the rest of the exposed arm hole edge.

How to make an easy square top. DIY tutorial via lilblueboo.com

Step 10: Starting at one end of the folded trim, I sewed the trim shut and all the way around to attach it to the arm hole and back up the other end. I did this for both sides/arms.

Step 10: Lastly I trimmed the ties at an angle to make them look neater:

How to make an easy square top. DIY tutorial via lilblueboo.com

Updated: A few closeups of the finished top and straps:

How to make an easy square top. DIY tutorial via lilblueboo.com

Quick, easy, comfy and stylish.

Fun and billowy.

How to make an easy square top. DIY tutorial via lilblueboo.com

Long enough to be just a tunic with leggings.

Comments

Comments

Megan hutchison says:

I love it! & I happen to need to run & get some other supplies today so guess I better make this today too.

Trisha Miller says:

genius Ashley! just genius! Love it!

Alice says:

Thank you Ashley! Something for us beginners that you inspire :) Can’t wait to try it!

Jen Spilker says:

Love this. I might have to size it up and make one for ME! :)

Brittany says:

You are amazing! I think I am going to make these for my daughter! Well after she finds a fabric she likes!

Gina says:

LOVE this!!! Can’t wait to try it!!

Megan says:

Super adorable.. I’m not a sewer, BUT I know I could do with with your great instruction, thank you thank you!!

barbara says:

my granddaughter is LOVIN this! (she’s 9 so will have to adjust it a bit…lol) THANKS FOR THE LOVELINESS!

sewashley says:

At first when I saw the armholes…I was a bit confused,lol! But, seeing the completed top it clicked and makes perfect sense. Incredibly cute and simple…just how I like a project to be! BTW I very much dislike making bias tape too! I WILL be using your method…thanks!

Jennifer says:

Cute, I have some fabric that needs a “job”!

Amanda says:

Thx for sharing!! I cant wait to make one!!!

I think this would be great as a maternity top for women too.

I had been fooling with how to make one of these for a while. You summed it up with photos – thanks!

Heather G. says:

You have *the* cutest assistant ever!

Amy M says:

Love it! I really like how it looks with her shoes!
    What about something for her ponytail? Maybe a “knit ribbon” of some sort?

Linda Lincks says:

Very cute! Did you just leave the other edges unfinished? I love your blog! Thanks for sharing!!

this is fabulous! And so easy! I love it! thank you so much fro sharing such a wonderful top!

Amy says:

Ashley this is awesome! Can’t wait to make this for all 3 of my girls. Adorable!

This is adorable! You are so talented. I will feature this at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com today.

Shelly says:

I love it. I am whipping up some stuff this wknd before Florida and can make the girls these. We can use them for dresses, cover ups for the beach, shirts, jammies because they are knit. You just saved my sanity :)

Shelly says:

Oh, can you snap a quick pic of the front/top so I can see the edges?

saffiertje says:

That’s all??? I thought it would be much more complecated!!!!

Ashley Clark says:

Really fun!! I agree that it seems way too easy!! :) Thanks, Ashley!

shannon says:

Wow Ashley! Thank you soooo much for sharing!!! You are so fantastic to share you knowledge with us! :) I *love* this top! I was thinking of how to make some kind of billowy top for both my daughter and myself! I think I’ll see what I have in my stash to make us a matchy matchy thing!

Thanks so much again! :)

Holl says:

Your projects are so fun! I love how you used a sippy cup to make your circles for armholes :)

LOVE IT!! I’m saving this and making one for my Alie! It’s looks FABULOUS on your girl!! BTW I used sippy cups and toddler bowls for stenciling ALL THE TIME!!! :) It was sorta sweet n sentimental that I used the cup from Alie’s 1st birthday to trace the circles for her 3rd birthday banner! :)

Kirsten Taylor says:

Is it sad I am sitting here trying to figure out a way to make something like this for myself? I love the look of this top….it hides all the flaws!!

Ashley says:

Love this! I have made myself 3 women’s tunics and love them. Finally something for me. Thx.

Kirsty says:

Great idea. I am definately putting the idea in the bank for when I have time to make one for my daughter.

Came out great! I love that our girls are the same size so I don’t have to do any measurements!

mrs d says:

I love this btw! so dang cute and twirly as my oldest daughter says (and demands her clothes to be!) anyways I know you mostly use knits but I was wondering if this would work with quilting cottons? I’m not sure I have that much knit fabric on hand. I really want to make this:)

michele says:

This reminds me of clothes from the late sixties and early seventies. Brings back memories and it is sort of one size fits many because of the way it flows.

KellyS says:

Cute! I keep passing these Ts at Target thinking they are adorable! Super simple to make!!

Shelly says:

Wanted to let you know I made a few before Florida and the one I made was navy and white striped with Red polka dot straps/bias. Aleah wore it on the 4th while walking around downtown Disney and I heard alot of “what a cute top” and “what a cute cover up”‘s while people passed us. So it’s an attention grabber too….
    It was easy and I think Aleah’s will fit me ;) I kinda winged it and it’s pretty big. It’s thick too, so we used it as a blanket on the plane!

JodiTX says:

Ashley-I love your style! I’m new to sewing and have some of your patterns. I’m stalled out in the trim fabric. Are you using stretchy jersey material or ribbed cotton for most of the neck pieces and waist bands? Would cutting out the necks of old t-shirts and recycling them work? I need help and I’m excited to try my new patterns for my little girl and eventually my big girls. Blessings~Jodi

Claudette Gant-Blunt says:

I NEED TO MAKE A ME-SIZED ONE !!! BEAUTIFUL!!!! ;-)

Daily Craft says:

Great project! I just wanted to let you know that we featured this project on our Facebook page with over 17,000 fans. We’d love it if you’d use our Featured Blogger button, available at: http://www.dailycraft.com/thank-you-for-crafting/. Our audience loved the project and we look forward to sharing more from you. Please let us know if you have any questions or projects you’d love us to feature! Thanks!

Jacque Horner says:

I love this top so much I shrank it down for an 18″ doll. Ended up using a 14″ square, then using water bottle caps as armhole guides, spaced them 2″ either side of center. The doll looks quite spiffy in her Square Top. Thanks!!

Ter says:

You are so wonderfully creative! I LOVE your blog and all that energy.You make my day….Thanks! I might try an adult version for myself as a dress with a belt. You make things so easy looking and do-able.Thanks for sharing your mind…it is really a wonderful place.
    FYI..California is not so sunny these day’s…brrrrrrrrr

zala says:

To Cute! I Might Have To Try This!

jan b says:

love it!

I even more love it that my daughter is the same age/size as yours, so the patterns are always perfect! LOL!

Blanca Rico says:

Now I think this could be adapted for an adult, couldn’t it?
    It’s easy and beautiful!

1. [...] The Square Top – Lil Blue Boo [...]

2. [...] google_ad_height = 15; Sponsorisé par Blouse à smock pour Petite Chérie crédit photo Lil Blue BooAshley du blog Lil Blue Boo nous montre comment réaliser un « top carré » à [...]

3. [...] Step 5: I cut 3″ strips of fabric for the trim. Two pieces 32″ long for the ties and 2 pieces long enough to trim the front and back edges (about 8″ each): The Square Top (A Tutorial) | Lil Blue Boo [...]

4. [...] в носке. На мой взгляд все понятно по фотографиям и доступно даже для [...]