Needle Felted iPad/iPhone Cover (A Tutorial)

Needle Felted iPad / iPhone Cover. DIY tutorial via lilblueboo.com

I was so excited to do my first needle felting project. I wanted to start out as basic as possible……so I did some applique felting. Needle felting is basically where you use a barbed set of needles to attach 2 pieces of felt. The barbed needles drag the fibers of one piece through the fibers of the second piece and the fibers tangle together to attach the two. It’s a super easy project if you use felt pieces from the fabric store….you can layer felt shapes to make any applique:

Needle Felted iPad / iPhone Cover. DIY tutorial via lilblueboo.com

I used layered felt pieces to create a thick padded iPad cover….using the needle felting process to attach the layered pieces and to add a simple heart applique to the front:

Needle Felted iPad / iPhone Cover. DIY tutorial via lilblueboo.com

I started out with basic felt from the fabric store. The other option for needle felting would be wool roving…..but that’s for another project soon!

I cut out four pieces of felt about 1/2″ larger on each side of the iPad:

Needle Felted iPad / iPhone Cover. DIY tutorial via lilblueboo.com

For this project I used a multi-needle tool and needle felting foam. The foam allows the needles to pass through easily as you do your punching:

Needle Felted iPad / iPhone Cover. DIY tutorial via lilblueboo.com

For smaller projects you can use a small brush mat like the one below:

Needle Felted iPad / iPhone Cover. DIY tutorial via lilblueboo.com

The needle tool has a guard on it that retracts when it goes through the felt:

Needle Felted iPad / iPhone Cover. DIY tutorial via lilblueboo.com

I took 2 of my pieces of felt and placed them on top of each other and used my needle tool to start punching through the entire surface….over and over and over:

Needle Felted iPad / iPhone Cover. DIY tutorial via lilblueboo.com

It took me about 30 minutes to punch the felt enough to create a solid piece of felt from the two pieces:

Needle Felted iPad / iPhone Cover. DIY tutorial via lilblueboo.com

I repeated the process for the second set of pieces:

Needle Felted iPad / iPhone Cover. DIY tutorial via lilblueboo.com

I designated one piece to be my front and cut a small heart from a red piece of felt and placed it on top:

Needle Felted iPad / iPhone Cover. DIY tutorial via lilblueboo.com

Using the needle tool I felted the heart piece to the purple piece….punching and punching over and over until they were completely attached:

Needle Felted iPad / iPhone Cover. DIY tutorial via lilblueboo.com

Here’s what the needle felting looks like from the reverse side. You can see how the red fibers are punched through the other side of the purple felt to attach the two:

Needle Felted iPad / iPhone Cover. DIY tutorial via lilblueboo.com

The front and the back of my iPad cover:

Needle Felted iPad / iPhone Cover. DIY tutorial via lilblueboo.com

I placed the top of the iPad cover onto the back and used the needle tool to felt the sides together….just letting the needles punch through the edges:

Needle Felted iPad / iPhone Cover. DIY tutorial via lilblueboo.com

Here is how the iPad cover looks at this point:

Needle Felted iPad / iPhone Cover. DIY tutorial via lilblueboo.com

I used my sewing machine to sew a zig-zag stitch along the 2 side edges and the bottom edge. I actually sewed around these sides three different times. You could also use DMC thread to sew a blanket stitch by hand if you like that look instead:

Getting close!

I cut a 6 inch x 1 inch piece of felt for the closure:

Needle Felted iPad / iPhone Cover. DIY tutorial via lilblueboo.com

I rolled the piece longways and used the needle tool to felt it to itself:

Needle Felted iPad / iPhone Cover. DIY tutorial via lilblueboo.com

Here’s what the piece looks like once it’s been rolled and felted….just like a skinny felt rope:

Needle Felted iPad / iPhone Cover. DIY tutorial via lilblueboo.com

I made a loop and carefully sewed it to the back of the cover:

Needle Felted iPad / iPhone Cover. DIY tutorial via lilblueboo.com

I cut a small square to cover the ends of the loop:

Needle Felted iPad / iPhone Cover. DIY tutorial via lilblueboo.com

I added a pretty button to the front:

Needle Felted iPad / iPhone Cover. DIY tutorial via lilblueboo.com

And the iPad cover is complete!

Needle Felted iPad / iPhone Cover. DIY tutorial via lilblueboo.com

I went with a simple applique but you could cut and overlap as many felt pieces as you like for a more complicated design:

Needle Felted iPad / iPhone Cover. DIY tutorial via lilblueboo.com

Easy, inexpensive and a great gift idea…..and the same idea could be applied to so many different projects!

Needle Felted iPad / iPhone Cover. DIY tutorial via lilblueboo.com

Note: All of my felting tools are from Dharma Trading Company…..you can find them here.

Comments

comments

Comments

This is so cool. I love the purple and red together :)

i have never seen this done before!? always learn something new over here at lil blue boo!

thanks for the great tutorial!

How are you still creatively inspiring? DS is embracing the opposite!!!!! Dang you rock!

Beth Morrow says:

Love it…love the outline if the heart for the outside as well…how cute would this be for a little purse or a crayon holder…love it…did I say that! Hope you had a great day!
    Love ya,
    Beth

I didn’t know you could felt actual “felt” I thought you could only felt using the wool roving. Huh – learn something new everyday. Very cute – has my gears turning for ideas re: next Christmas (yes, I’m starting early this year LOL)

Stephanie Pearson says:

I LOVE this! I actually took a felting class a long time ago and made a cute little owl out of roving, and have never felted since. I had no idea you could felt regular felt. I will be getting my huge box of felt out tomorrow and get started on some fun projects! You are awesome!

Fun! Very cute. I’ve never tried felting like that… the most I got to was hand-sewing the edges of felt coin purses as a kid. You could make one of these for each holiday!

So cute! I never tried needle felting, now I think I really have to!!!
    Thanks for the tutorial! :)

This came at the perfect time! All 3 of my daughters got E-readers for Christmas. I have already bought the felt but am lost as to what to put together for them. I think I might just see if I can find the tools and give this a try. I also got a new sewing machine for Christmas. Yay!

Is this wool felt or acrylic? I’m hoping acrylic and am excited to try this!

Anco den Dekker says:

Love your site. Admire your creativity and most of all your huge JOIE DE VIVRE!
    About needle felting: we use (at workshos or childrens birthday parties) a so called punchmachine (kind of sewing machine but with felting and without thread). Even children aged 6 or 7 can operate such a machine safely and enjoy the results so much. Big advantages: less time-consuming…….

Shelly Kurtzhals says:

Why did I think this was so much harder than that? Cute stuff!

Kriss stewart says:

Ashley did you use craft felt (that you can buy by the yard) or real wool felt?

Ashley Barker says:

Love it!! Wonder if I could jimmy it enough to work for my Droid. :) Thanks for the cool idea!

Donna Huisinga says:

Thanks for the great tutorial. Will be thinking of you tomorrow. Best wishes.

That’s awesome! I need me one of those punching devices. I made a rosary pouch that looks just like that but I whip stitched it all together. Your way looks way more fun! Good luck tomorrow. Many prayers from San Diego.

Vanessa Jubis says:

Love this! DH has been asking me to make him a felt pouch for his iPad :) Great tutorial :)

Vanessa

Thanks for the tutorial. I had heard of felting but never saw it done before.

That’s fantastic! I haven’t seen the felting needle before, I’ve always just hand stitched!! Thank you so much for sharing: your blog, tutorials, tips and tales are fabulous. I’m so glad I found you in blog land!!! Blessings to you :-)

New Technique, possibilities are endless!

Sorry, I don’t have a website! I truly believe there are no coincidences in life…but I found your blog(s) while I was trying to distract myself from my son’s hospital stay. He has leukemia. Michael is 15. He’s been fighting this cancer since he was one month shy of his 12th birthday. All the meds/chemo you’ve been taking are the same and/or similar to his treatments. Today, he started another round (for 24 weeks) of high-dose Ara-C, with an LP, high-dose methotrexate and some pills (6-MP)…then he has to have CNS radiation (about late May/early June)…I cannot say personally how difficult it is for him or you, but as his main caregiver, I feel his angst and the brunt of his frustration…you, Ashley, have taken the high road and are facing this challenge by truly choosing joy…it’s admirable and thought-provoking. I will keep you and your family in my prayers. Kimberly

Yay i love needlefelting, just use the individual needles at the moment so want to get a tool! great tutorial thank you :)

B

I never knew what people were talking about when they would say felting – that is so cool!

Nicely done and a great idea!

So cool! How much is the tool?

H!
    I’m just starting out making felt beads & I really like the wet technique the best!
    I purchased a12x12 piece of 100% wool but need to know how to more or less shred it (turning it into roving). If this is possible, can you explain how to do it?

-Rebecca

• 27

Hi Rebecca! You should be able to use the wool brushes to do this.

• 28
        Rebecca says:

Hi Ashley!
        When I say I’m just starting, I mean all I have is the 12×12 piece of wool! Ha! :)
        I saw pre-made beads @ Michael’s yesterday & thought, “Geez, I can make these!”
        I want to make bracelets for my nieces for Christmas & thought I’d better get started. So here I am!
        So…I need a wool brush? Is there a specific brand or make that I should look for? What other tools will I need to complete this felting technique?

Thanks for all your help in advance!

1. [...] I decided to get craftastical and make him an iPad case. I used this tutorial as a guide, but I wanted to design something not too girlie but fun, and… well…. [...]