Tie Dyeing Shapes (A Tutorial)

Tie Dyeing Shapes via lilblueboo.com

Who doesn’t love some bright tie dye? I made some easy outfits for Boo over the weekend with a few bright dye colors. I made one outfit with a peace sign and one outfit with a heart. You can find my peace sign tutorial here. There’s a heart shaped tutorial here.

Tie Dyeing Shapes (Heart and Peace Sign) via lilblueboo.com

How to Tie Dye Shapes via lilblueboo.com

First I laid out a sheet of plastic with my clothing ready to dye:

How to Tie Dye Shapes (Step 1) via lilblueboo.com

I soaked them in a bucket of water with some soda ash added. Then wrung the clothing out well.

How to Tie Dye Shapes (Step 2) via lilblueboo.com

Here’s my clothing all bunched up with rubber bands placed every few inches:

How to Tie Dye Shapes (Step 8) via lilblueboo.com

I added purple along the “heart” line making sure to soak it through (full tutorial here). I added it to the peace sign lines too just like in the peace sign tutorial.

How to Tie Dye Shapes (Step 8) via lilblueboo.com

I just tried to repeat the pattern of dye across all the clothing.

How to Tie Dye Shapes (Step 9) via lilblueboo.com

Here’s how the clothing looks with pink and purple dye added:

How to Tie Dye Shapes (Step 10) via lilblueboo.com

I carefully wrapped up the plastic cloth around the clothing and left it to sit overnight:

How to Tie Dye Shapes (Step 11) via lilblueboo.com

In the morning I cut off all my rubber bands and rinsed the clothing with cold water. But here’s how my heart turned out:

How to Tie Dye a Peace Sign via lilblueboo.com

And the peace sign!

How to Tie Dye a Peace Sign via lilblueboo.com

Two cute tie dyed outfits made in about under an hour:

Tie Dyeing Shapes (Heart and Peace Sign) via lilblueboo.com

Comments

1. Suzanne says

Beautiful…this will inspire Lillie to make it through 4 days of school this week;0) I am guessing a circle (for my man child) would be done the same way? Thanks Ashley! This is beautiful;0)

2. Carrie says

My kids always love tie dying days! At least once a summer we spend an entire day outside transforming every solid color item we can find into a masterpiece. Thanks for sharing this technique!

3. Shelly says

The peace sign tutorial last year was one of my favorites you have done. The heart is perfect in time for valentines day! Thanks Ashley!

4. Jodie says

Very cool! I love the colours! I seriously have to save up for the huge order I will place one day with dharma trading….

5. Jennlala says

Very Pretty!!
    I see this tutorial and I am right back in my yard, circa “1968” tie dyeing T-shirts for everybody! LOL

6. KJW says

I love the finished product but I swear it looks like there are faces in those tie die areas! You couldn’t have done that if you tried! And I am so glad you still have hair! Makes all the difference, doesn’t it!!

7. Ginger says

Kinda Random but do you know about thermofax machines for making a screenprint?? Cool ? Not cool? Do they work? Worth ordering a print from someone if you feel totally intimidated by the whole thing?? You are my crafting guru by the way!

8. Beth Morrow says

Love this but want to do it this week while my granddaughter is visiting…can I get the soda ash at HL or at Michaels, or anywhere else? Adorable!

9. Vanessa Jubis says

Ohh!!!! I LOVE this!! My girls are always asking me to do ‘cool’ shapes for them! Thank you so much! 😉

Can’t wait to go and try this fun craft! 😮

Cheers!
    Vanessa

10. Beth Morrow says

I did it and it worked….SO EXCITED…shirts are in the washer now…going to try to add a square skirt to them and whatever…will send you a picture prob to FB (because I know how to do that). Ok…hope you r having a good day!
    Love,

Beth

11. Beth Morrow says

Update …my small sizes did great…my larger size…not so much. So, since I figure things outnin my sleep, I saw myself running a basting stitch with embrodery floss along the shape line…do you think that would hold the shape better?
    They really turned out cute…pink shirt with red dye hearts!
    Hope you got back to sleep after the broccoli last night and have had a good day.
    Love ya,