Easy DIY Hand Stamped Jewelry

How to Make Hand Stamped Jewelry via lilblueboo.com

I’ve stamped metal before for but never on jewelry. Here’s what the basic metal stamping kit includes:

Materials Needed for  Hand Stamped Jewelry via lilblueboo.com

All you really need is:
Metal Letter Stamps
Steel Bench Block
Brass Faces Dead Blow Hammer

Here’s how I made an easy necklace for a friend who just had a little baby girl named Ava:

First, use painters tape to to keep the silver metal tag in place. It also serves as a guide so your letters are stamped in a straight line:

Hand Stamping via lilblueboo.com

Use the permanent marker included in the kit to mark the center. Make sure your steel bench block is on a hard, firm surface.  The steel bench block keeps the impression from showing too much on the other side.

Hand Stamping 2 via lilblueboo.com

Position your metal stamp on the piece making sure it is straight up and down. I started in the center and worked outwards.  Strike the stamp firmly once with your hammer! You can strike it again if you need to just make sure your stamp is still in place or you’ll get a ghost impression.

Hand Stamped Metal Jewelry Tutorial via lilblueboo.com

My first stamp!

Hand Stamped Metal Jewelry Tutorial 2 via lilblueboo.com

Repeat the process for the remaining letters.

Hand Stamped Metal Jewelry Tutorial Letters via lilblueboo.com

Use the hole punch plier to punch a hole through the top of the tag.

Hand Stamped Metal Jewelry Tutorial Hole Punch via lilblueboo.com

To add contrast to the letters, use the industrial permanent marker to color them in:

Hand Stamped Metal Jewelry Tutorial Tarnishing via lilblueboo.com

A polishing pad will remove the excess marker and leave only the coloring down in the grooved letters:

Hand Stamped Metal Jewelry Tutorial Polishing via lilblueboo.com

You’ll want to add a jump ring so that you can string the tag onto jewelry. I have a fear of jump rings falling off, so I solder them shut.  You don’t want your hardwork falling off the necklace!

Mr. LBB’s grandfather gave me this soldering iron a few years ago. It’s just a 25W tool and I used 96%tin/4%silver solder. I don’t know anything about metal but it worked for me fine.

Soldering Tutorial for Jump Rings via lilblueboo.com

I don’t use any flux or pickle or any of that fancy stuff. I just touch the soldering tool to the solder (tin/silver) to get a small bead on the end:

Soldering Tool Tutorial for Jump Rings via lilblueboo.com

Then I touch the hot end to the opening of the jump ring”

Soldering Tutorial for Jump Rings via lilblueboo.com

Once the jump ring cools I use a nail file and a polishing tool to remove any excess metal and smooth the jump ring:

Soldering /Polishing for Jump Rings via lilblueboo.com

This ring isn’t coming off!

How to Close/Solder Jump Rings via lilblueboo.com

String the tag onto a necklace or another piece of jewelry and it’s done!

DIY Hand STamped Metal via lilblueboo.com

Think of all the things you could make: baby shower gifts, party favors, stocking stuffers, BFF necklaces!

Stay tuned for more jewelry making soon!

Hand Stamped Jewelry Supplies Beaducation via lilblueboo.com

Comments

thank you for this! I have been thinking of getting something like this but was worried about my lack of skills in this particular area, but this seems very doable. The painter’s tape is a great idea too. btw, where did you get your silver tags?

2. Heather says

You are the person who inspired me to start hand-stamping jewelry (through The Vintage Pearl and The Rusted Chain), and Beaducation has been my go-to website for everything! :)

3. michelle says

Love this one thanks for sharing. Here is a heads up for any frugal momma’s out there. You do not have to spend a great deal of money on your basic metal stamps and numbers. If you have a Harbor Freight in your area you can purchase a nice set for……….are you ready?….$4.99. They truly are a nice set to try metal stamping before investing a great deal. Thanks again for sharing Ashley.

• says

Yep you can get the letter stamps at harbor freight but they are $10 at my local store. They also almost always have a 20% off coupon that you can find in either a magazine, online or in their mail ad if you get that. You can even apply the coupon to sale prices in my experience.

4. Angela says

Thanks for this,I wanted to do a necklace when my daughter was born and didnt know how.I opted to cash in my gold and still couldnt find a jeweler to design/melt a pendant for me.I ended up buying a pendant with an initial from the cashed in gold.

5. Kristen says

Hobby Lobby has all of these stamping supplies as well. They have the tags in a lot of different shapes and sizes and colors. And… they usually have good sales where the supplies are 50% off.

Thanks for the tip on the blue painters tape – genious! I kept having issues with my tags slipping while stamping and never thought to tape it down.

We are a gagle of voolunteers and opening a new scheme in our community.
    Your website provided us with valuable information too work on.
    You’ve performed an impressive process and our entire group
    can be grateful to you.

7. Carol Jo says

You could also tape down a smaller metal or paper circle for a guide to stamp around the outside edge. I am thinking of buying all the supplies to take with me when camping so all my camping friends can make their own.

8. Hyman says

If some one wishes to be updated with hottest technologies then he must be go to
    see this site and be up to date every day.

1. […] 2: Stamp Name straight across. If you want to learn a little more about how to stamp, click here to see this awesome […]