Patience worked. I still haven’t resorted to better dyes….but I am pretty happy with how this Tulip 3-color kit turned out. I like “easy” and these kits come with the dye already in the squirt bottles so all you have to do is add water. They also come with gloves and rubber bands. You have to buy soda ash separately for the pre-soak. I left the shirts overnight wrapped in plastic to let the dye soak in. I washed them 3 times and the color is still very strong.
Another dress for the fall using 5 different t-shirts.
I bought Sienna (yes, storebought) the perfect black and white striped leggings to wear underneath. Now it just needs to cool off! It was only 101 degrees here today.
I’m sewing an identical one for my Etsy store except that the purple is at the top and orange is at the bottom….I’ll finish it tonight. The plan was to offer someone their pick and Sienna would get the leftovers, but my iron was too hot and I smeared some of the text at the top of the dress! She’ll never notice.
Halloween tees are SO much better than when we were growing up, right? I wouldn’t have been caught dead in one until recent years…..
Pattern used: The Sienna Dress
Update: Here is the 2nd one I made. I LOVE the little owl tag that is on the bottom ruffle! This dress is in my etsy shop now…..there will only be one.
I’m working on Sienna’s fall clothes and finishing up a new fall pattern so I am running through a ton of t-shirts. My husband gave me a huge stack of dingy white t-shirts and I used oxyclean to brighten them and then I used fushcia and purple RIT dyes to tie dye them before I cut them all up into a million pieces.
I soaked the shirts in soda ash for 30 minutes before dying……then twirled them into spirals and secured with rubber bands.
I drain them on the side lawn…..since we live in the desert the ground doesn’t hold water so the grass makes a great “strainer.”