Painted Wood Plaques – A Tutorial

How to stencil using stickers via lilblueboo.com

My sister-in-law’s baby sprinkle was this weekend and I made her two painted plaques for her nursery, a LBB dress, and put everything in this great little bucket as my gift:

One wood plaque I made to hang on a wall or door:

…..and the other to hold hair clippies:

These are great little gifts to make on a budget! For each plaque I started out with an pre-cut wood piece from the craft store:

I sprayed the wood piece pink (the color that I wanted the lettering to be) and let it dry:

Next I used letter stickers (from the scrapbook section of the craft store) to spell my niece’s name “Cari”:

For perfect polka dots I used a hole punch to punch tiny vinyl circles from contact paper (adhesive shelf paper)…….

……..and placed the around the edge of the wood plaque. You could use any scrapbook punch shape as well…I wanted to keep it simple:

The stickers and vinyl dots become “reverse stencils”….

…..and I applied my top coat of white spray paint over them:

Once the top coat of spray paint was dry, I carefully peeled off the stickers and dots:

For the “clippie” plaque I took leftover fabric from the nursery rocker reupholstering (so it would match my niece’s nursery perfectly) and folded it in half tucking the ends under:

Then I top stitched around the edges of the fabric:

I attached some hanging hardware……

…..and used two tiny screws to attach the fabric piece to the back (I ran out of staples or I would have used my staple gun):

A finished personalized clippie holder….much better than the generic ribbon hanger I got free with all of my clippies!

For the second plaque I just drilled two holes at the top…….

…..and added wire ribbon to hang:

I signed the back of the plaques with “Aunt” Ashley:

Finally, I made an itty bitty Lil Blue Boo dress….

…..and added everything to a pink metal bucket:

Comments

1. Disney says

"ant" Ashley!! So cute! I absolutely love this, who said hand made gifts aren't as cool? I wouldn't even have thought of doing reverse stencils with stickers!

2. Kestlyn says

Ooooh I can't wait for my sis and brother to start having kiddos! I am totally borrowing the "ant". Too cute to give it all justice with mere words :)

3. Ashley says

Thanks gals!!! My nephews came up with the "Ant" years ago…..they couldn't figure out why they had to call me a "bug"….haha!

4. April: Modern-Mama says

This is great! Not only for a baby gift, but also for other signs. I was going to make a "No Soliciting" sign for our front door, but wasn't sure the best way to go about doing it neatly. I saw the scrapbook letters and was going to use them and leave them on there but was afraid the weather would make them fall off. I don't know why I didn't think to use spray paint with them! GREAT IDEA! Thank you so much for sharing!

5. Emma-Jayne says

Ha ha! Ant that is adorable. Must remember that.
    Will be trying the plaque idea for mothers day in two weeks.

6. Two Beautiful Girls Mommy says

I love the reverse stencil on this – super adorable. Thanks for the idea!

7. Two Beautiful Girls Mommy says

I love the reverse stencil on this – super adorable. Thanks for the idea!

8. Heather :: AFD Jewelry :: says

Everything looks beautiful, Ashley! I need to make one of those "baby sleeping" signs for my front door!

And, how tiny do you make LBB dresses?! Gianna might need one to match Leila's!

9. Shelly K says

Oh how fun!
    My sister is pregnant with their first (boy) and it's been a rough pregnancy so far (full bedrest). When she hits 24 weeks (2 more weeks) I want to give her a little gift for him.
    That is when the DR's consider him his "own patient".
    This definitely inspires me :)

10. Mad Sewing Love says

Oh how precious! Handmade gifts are the best…to be treasured. That lil' dress is darling. Great job!

11. Deanna says

Very cute. I love the idea of the stickers being painted over. I wondered how the letters were so perfect. Thanks

12. Becca says

Absolutely love everything about it! :-) what a great gift and a lucky girl to have an "ant" like you!

13. Casey says

love the plaques! If I can find some wood plaques, I may steal the 'baby sleeping' idea for my cousin's shower this weekend!

14. Rachel says

What a great idea! I love how those little stickers make such perfect darling dots.

15. Ale says

Wow this an amazing gift!! I'm wondering if you have a tutorial for the tiny dress you made! Its just lovely!!

16. Dawn says

I have a question… What if I want the letters to be black and the plaque to be red. Do I paint red over the black? Would that turn out?

17. Zafran ali says

Thanks so much- You have great ideas and easy to follow directions!
    Send gifts to pakistan from usa

18. dawn says

I’m more than a little late to this post but thank you so much for the tutorial. I knew I would find an answer to what I was looking for here. My 10 yr old is making something and she wanted to know how to add letters…ta da.