Upcycled / Recycled T-Shirt Bangles (Tutorial) and Weekend Stuff…..

Upcycled / Recycled T-Shirt Bangles DIY Tutorial via lilblueboo.com
I’ve got a LOT of scraps. So I’m always trying to come up with a way to use them. I made a few fabric bangles. For the larger bangles, I used Vanessa’s (from V&Co) tutorial (which you can find here). I used a bunch of different weight knits for a “wonky” effect. The braided bangle I made with the steps outlined below.

Upcycled / Recycled T-Shirt Bangles DIY Tutorial via lilblueboo.com
I used spandex knit leftovers that would curl and cut three long pieces:

Upcycled / Recycled T-Shirt Bangles DIY Tutorial via lilblueboo.com
Since I didn’t have a clipboard (like we used in high school to make friendship bracelets), I attached the three pieces to my shoe using a safety pin. Then I braided all three together:

Upcycled / Recycled T-Shirt Bangles DIY Tutorial via lilblueboo.com
I created a loop large enough for wrist to fit into (the spandex will stretch) and sewed the two pieces together making sure to sew through each strand. Then I cut off the excess.

Upcycled / Recycled T-Shirt Bangles DIY Tutorial via lilblueboo.com
Lastly I took a contrasting piece of knit and tied it around to hide the stitching.

Upcycled / Recycled T-Shirt Bangles DIY Tutorial via lilblueboo.com
Mix-matched upcycled / recycled t-shirt bangles!

Upcycled / Recycled T-Shirt Bangles DIY Tutorial via lilblueboo.com
Wear one at a time or wear a few at a time like I did below:

Upcycled / Recycled T-Shirt Bangles DIY Tutorial via lilblueboo.com
P.S. It is really hard to get a photo of a bracelet with a pile of laundry on the floor…..my camera kept focusing on the pile, not the bangle. Keeping it real…..yes, my bathroom is a mess.

Hope you are having a great weekend! I had two Lil Blue Boo Studio “drop ins” today for some custom clothes. My customer/designer Mia combined three shirts and some trim to make a custom, upcycled tank. I LOVE “drop ins” to my studio. Look how proud she looks! I made zero design choices…..she picked out everything.

Upcycled / Recycled T-Shirt Bangles DIY Tutorial via lilblueboo.com

Also….I have a 3-day listing up: LOVE HOO YOU ARE! 100% of net proceeds go to the Down Syndrome Association of Delaware as part of Team Anna’s Bananas goal! The shirt was donated by a customer Julie (picked out by her daughters). Anna is one of my favorite (out of many….ok, all are my favorite) little fashionista’s and since I can’t make it to Delaware to walk:

Upcycled / Recycled T-Shirt Bangles DIY Tutorial via lilblueboo.com

Hope you had a great weekend!

Comments

1. Forever You says

Great stuff! What a great way to use the last bits and pieces !Great tank top too! And a dress for such a great cause!

2. Monika says

Thanks for sharing!! I bet my girls will love making these for themselves and their friends!!!

3. Beverly @ FlamingoToes.com says

I LOVE these bangles. So cute and easy. The best kind of craft, haha. Going on my mile long to do list. . .

4. Skooks says

The safety pin on the shoe made me laugh. That was the EXACT way we used to make friendship bracelets back in the day. Right after we got back from the math contest. LOL.

5. Sonya says

I am addicted to Vanessa's fabric bracelets! I blogged about it few days ago :)
    I love your braided version too! Will give it a try.

6. Jan says

Yes, so great! I LOVE the bracelets. I've been dreaming of braided straps for a sundress. I'd been picturing all-the-same-color braids, but I really love the mix of colors. Thanks for the inspiration!

7. MaryJanes and Galoshes says

how did you do the ones that aren't braided? They look wrapped but I don't see how they keep from untwisting. Is there a braid under there?

8. Jingle says

I love these! I've done headbands and necklaces, but not bracelets yet! That will be next, for sure!!!

9. Jane says

This such a great idea. My 13 yo daughter has been making friendship bracelets lately but this would notch it up a bit. I make t-shirt quilts so I have tons of scraps. I'm always trying to find new uses for them. I've tried making necklaces and that's fun. I've also made yarn. The problem is that you can quickly get overrun by scraps in the craft room because you can't bear to throw anything away when there's so many cute things to make! Thanks again.

10. Delia says

I just linked up this project and your graffiti shoes on my blog. Thank you!

delia

deliacreates.blogspot.com

11. Emma says

♥ it! I do weekly activities with 12 and 13 year old girls and they will love this! Thanks for sharing!

12. cool shirts says

These are great tees! I love T-Shirts. The first one on the list seems like it works only with a specific look but very creative anyway.I love all of them, I laughed quite a bit reading them.

design t shirts

i am such a loser!! i just clicked to check out your new tutes page and saw that you did t-shirt bracelets months and months ago!! if i had seen it, i would have linked to YOUR tute instead of wasting time doing one on my blog! – play sarcastic slide trombone tune here……wha-wha-whaaaaaa…….sorry ash!!!! -xo

14. Kristen Gross says

Ashley, Thanks so much for coming up with projects that recycle things and that are budget friendly. They make great projects to do with our youth group for girls at church! You always have such cute ideas!

15. Roberta Wells says

I can’t wear metal bracelets (allergic to metals) but I LOVE making these and will deff wear these. I made mine double wrap bracelets though. I LOVE LOVE LOVE your blog!! You rock Lil Blue Boo!! 😉

1. […] to say, this tutorial on how to make upcycled bangles from fabric scraps was easy as […]

2. […] {paper beads, popsicle stick bracelets, t-shirt bangles, stamped washer necklace, patterned washer […]

3. […] found a terrific walkthrough for a braided bracelet on a blog called Lil Blue Boo. I used one of the aforementioned Texas shirts and a torn white shirt to make fabric strips, and […]

4. […] are plenty of other non-knitting uses for t-shirt yarn. How about some bangle bracelets or braided headbands, or maybe a crochet bowl or […]

5. […] found a terrific walkthrough for a braided bracelet on a blog called Lil Blue Boo. I used one of the aforementioned Texas shirts and a torn white shirt to make fabric strips, and […]