A Mermaid Tail for a Doll (with Pattern Download)

Boo’s favorite princess is Cinderella…..but Ariel is a close second. Her doll Li’l Sally has a Cinderella dress we made for her but Li’l Sally needed a mermaid outfit too! Here’s how we made the mermaid tail and you can even download the pattern template at the bottom of the post. This is a super simple project…..even if you’ve never sewn before!

Mermaid tail for doll free diy download via lilblueboo.com

Step 1: Download and print out the template and use it to cut out two pieces for the front and the back of the tail:

Mermaid tail for doll free diy download via lilblueboo.com
The template will work for several types of dolls. For skinnier dolls you might need to reduce the width slightly…just check that the doll looks like a reasonable fit:

Mermaid tail for doll free diy download via lilblueboo.com
Step 2: Place your tail pieces right sides together and sew the sides and bottom closed using a 3/8″ seam.

Mermaid tail for doll free diy download via lilblueboo.com

Step 3: Place the tail on the doll and fold the waist down to the correct length (so the top of the tail hits the lower chest):

Mermaid tail for doll free diy download via lilblueboo.com
Step 4: Sew 3/4″ down from the top of the tail, leaving a 1″ gap, wide enough to thread elastic through:

Mermaid tail for doll free diy download via lilblueboo.com
Step 5: Cut a 1/2″ piece of elastic long enough to fit around the doll’s waist….

Mermaid tail for doll free diy download via lilblueboo.com
….and use a safety pin to thread it through the casing:

Mermaid tail for doll free diy download via lilblueboo.com
Sew the elastic closed at the two ends and then sew the casing closed:

Mermaid tail for doll free diy download via lilblueboo.com
Step 6: Stuff the tail with poly fil….

Mermaid tail for doll free diy download via lilblueboo.com
….so it’s nice and plump:

A finished mermaid tail!

Mermaid tail for doll free diy download via lilblueboo.com
We made Li’l Sally a simple bandeau top with a strip of knit fabric and cinched in in the center with another scrap. Boo made the little miniature shell necklace for her:

Mermaid tail for doll free diy download via lilblueboo.com

“I love Li’l Sally as a mermaid! Can we make one for ME now?”

Mermaid tail for doll free diy download via lilblueboo.comMermaid tail for doll free diy download via lilblueboo.com

Comments

1. amandanbo says

so perfecT! ava loves ariel! gonna have to whip one of these out asap! thank you so much for sharing your beautiful creations!

2. Cole's Corner says

How cute Ashley! Ariel is and has been my Boo's favorite doll since birth. Every picture we have of her has Ariel in it.

3. Paint the Moon Photography says

Super cute … now I just need instructions on how to sew!! 😀

4. Last Minute Mel says

this is so adorable…what a cute idea…will save this project for when my daughter gets a little bit older :)

5. Bless by Tone says

This is really cute – my girl is named Arielle – and of course her favorite princess has been Ariel – so I made her a mermaid costume – I made a tail and stuffed the finn and made a slit so it looks like a skirt, with a tail – they both love being mermads. Tone

6. Rachel@oneprettything.com says

That is such a cute idea- I love this! When The Little Mermaid came out my sister and I fought over who could name their Barbie Ariel for a solid year. =) Thanks tons for the darling pattern, I'll be spreading the word.

7. Amy says

So cute! My 6 year old and I just made one out of sparkly green fabric for her ModKid rag doll that she also made. Thanks for the fun project!

8. Andrea @ Addicted2tutes says

Your tutorial is great! I linked to your tutorial over at my site. I made 2 sets of fins for my girls’ dolls. :) Thanks so much!

9. Susie says

Did you do anything to keep the polyfill in the tail? Just wondering if it gets stuck to her feet when you pull the doll out.

i love this idea, but i also love that doll’s crazy hair! what kind of doll is that? i saw that a few other people had asked but i don’t see an answer anywhere!

11. alejandra says

hi! I loved every section on this blog.
    my nieces will go crazy with the <mermaid Tail but I just can´t find the download boutton for the template, sorry!
    pls help!