A Mermaid Tail for a Doll (with Pattern Download)

Boo’s favorite princess is Cinderella…..but Ariel is a close second. Her doll Li’l Sally has a Cinderella dress we made for her but Li’l Sally needed a mermaid outfit too! Here’s how we made the mermaid tail and you can even download the pattern template at the bottom of the post. This is a super simple project…..even if you’ve never sewn before!

Mermaid tail for doll free diy download via lilblueboo.com

Step 1: Download and print out the template and use it to cut out two pieces for the front and the back of the tail:

Mermaid tail for doll free diy download via lilblueboo.com
The template will work for several types of dolls. For skinnier dolls you might need to reduce the width slightly…just check that the doll looks like a reasonable fit:

Mermaid tail for doll free diy download via lilblueboo.com
Step 2: Place your tail pieces right sides together and sew the sides and bottom closed using a 3/8″ seam.

Mermaid tail for doll free diy download via lilblueboo.com

Step 3: Place the tail on the doll and fold the waist down to the correct length (so the top of the tail hits the lower chest):

Mermaid tail for doll free diy download via lilblueboo.com
Step 4: Sew 3/4″ down from the top of the tail, leaving a 1″ gap, wide enough to thread elastic through:

Mermaid tail for doll free diy download via lilblueboo.com
Step 5: Cut a 1/2″ piece of elastic long enough to fit around the doll’s waist….

Mermaid tail for doll free diy download via lilblueboo.com
….and use a safety pin to thread it through the casing:

Mermaid tail for doll free diy download via lilblueboo.com
Sew the elastic closed at the two ends and then sew the casing closed:

Mermaid tail for doll free diy download via lilblueboo.com
Step 6: Stuff the tail with poly fil….

Mermaid tail for doll free diy download via lilblueboo.com
….so it’s nice and plump:

A finished mermaid tail!

Mermaid tail for doll free diy download via lilblueboo.com
We made Li’l Sally a simple bandeau top with a strip of knit fabric and cinched in in the center with another scrap. Boo made the little miniature shell necklace for her:

Mermaid tail for doll free diy download via lilblueboo.com

“I love Li’l Sally as a mermaid! Can we make one for ME now?”

Mermaid tail for doll free diy download via lilblueboo.comMermaid tail for doll free diy download via lilblueboo.com

Comments

comments

Comments

How fun! Love these quick, simple projects. :)

amandanbo says:

so perfecT! ava loves ariel! gonna have to whip one of these out asap! thank you so much for sharing your beautiful creations!

Belichek says:

so nice and simple))) you – sorceress)

Atelier do Feltro says:

My daughter loves mermaids … she'll love this idea…

Cole's Corner says:

How cute Ashley! Ariel is and has been my Boo's favorite doll since birth. Every picture we have of her has Ariel in it.

Thank you so much for this post. I want to let you know that I posted a link to your blog in CBH Digital Scrapbooking Freebies, under the Page 3 post on Apr. 04, 2011. Thanks again.

Paint the Moon Photography says:

Super cute … now I just need instructions on how to sew!! :D

Last Minute Mel says:

this is so adorable…what a cute idea…will save this project for when my daughter gets a little bit older :)

Bumble Baybees says:

I love the tail.. I also love this doll. Where is it from????

Thanks for the mermaid tail! What a fun way to play doll dress up!

~Andrea

lrlincks says:

Another great project! Thanks Ashley!

Bless by Tone says:

This is really cute – my girl is named Arielle – and of course her favorite princess has been Ariel – so I made her a mermaid costume – I made a tail and stuffed the finn and made a slit so it looks like a skirt, with a tail – they both love being mermads. Tone

Rachel@oneprettything.com says:

That is such a cute idea- I love this! When The Little Mermaid came out my sister and I fought over who could name their Barbie Ariel for a solid year. =) Thanks tons for the darling pattern, I'll be spreading the word.

The Craft-Arty Kid says:

Oh this is so cute!!

Li'l Sally looks adorable! And love Boo's special necklace for her :)

casserole says:

Mer-dollies!!! This looks like so much fun! I linked to your tutorial on Craft Gossip Sewing:

–Anne

This is so cute! Where can I find that doll so I can make it exactly like it.

So cute! My 6 year old and I just made one out of sparkly green fabric for her ModKid rag doll that she also made. Thanks for the fun project!

Andrea @ Addicted2tutes says:

Your tutorial is great! I linked to your tutorial over at my site. I made 2 sets of fins for my girls’ dolls. :) Thanks so much!

Did you do anything to keep the polyfill in the tail? Just wondering if it gets stuck to her feet when you pull the doll out.

These are so great. It makes old dolls new again. I’m excited to try this!

i love this idea, but i also love that doll’s crazy hair! what kind of doll is that? i saw that a few other people had asked but i don’t see an answer anywhere!

Love the tail design, what about the doll? did you make it too? Would love a tutorial for that!

alejandra says:

hi! I loved every section on this blog.
    my nieces will go crazy with the <mermaid Tail but I just can´t find the download boutton for the template, sorry!
    pls help!
    thanks for sharing

alejandra says:

thnks I finally got it. Great blog!

1. […] She was initially wearing one of BEG’s baby dresses.  However, just a few weeks ago I made her a mermaid outfit.  (Template found here. […]

2. […] are all kinds out outfits and accessories to make for dolls, but this Mermaid Tail from Lil Blue Boo is something I’ve never seen […]