Upcycling Broken China (A Tutorial)

How to make upcycled accessories from broken china via lilblueboo.com

Ever break a glass or dish you love? Happens here all the time…..and I can never bring myself to throw the pieces away. I always have big plans to one day make a big mosaic wall or table…..but in the meantime I’ve decided to use the pieces for some smaller projects. This jar holds every single piece of porcelain from a Tiffany vase I broke a few years ago:

How to make upcycled accessories from broken china via lilblueboo.com

My rotary tool and attachment set had all the pieces I needed to finish the edges and add a hole for this project:

How to make upcycled accessories from broken china via lilblueboo.com

Most attachment kits come with a silicon carbide grinding stone attachment……it is strong enough to grind down the sharp edges of a dish shard:

Note: Make sure to wear protective eyewear!

How to make upcycled accessories from broken china via lilblueboo.com

First, I ground down the sharpest edges and then smoothed down the sides as much as possible:

How to make upcycled accessories from broken china via lilblueboo.com

Then I used an abrasive finishing buff attachment to smooth the edges even more. Wetting the tile edges with water helps in the smoothing process.

How to make upcycled accessories from broken china via lilblueboo.com

A thinner silicone carbide grinding attachment is perfect for grinding a hole through the porcelain shard:

How to make upcycled accessories from broken china via lilblueboo.com

Every few seconds as I ground through the tile, I dipped it in water:

How to make upcycled accessories from broken china via lilblueboo.com

The water cools off the tile and helps the rotary tool cut through the piece:

A perfect, smooth hole:

How to make upcycled accessories from broken china via lilblueboo.com

This piece looked like it would make a great keychain and all it needed was the metal ring:

How to make upcycled accessories from broken china via lilblueboo.com

Pretty and so simple. I love that it reminds me of that Tiffany vase too……

How to make upcycled accessories from broken china via lilblueboo.com

A broken china dish would make great sentimental family gifts!

How to make upcycled accessories from broken china via lilblueboo.com

P.S. Make sure to sign up for my weekly newsletter.…it’s where I give my weekly rundown. Your info is safe with me…..never shared with anyone else…..promise. I don’t spam. Promise.

Comments

I saw your update yesterday about drilling a hole in a tiffany vase. This is a great idea, and I love how it turned out!

Bravo!!! Thank you for sharing this!!! I’ve been wanting to put holes in pottery pieces and glass for some time but thought you had to have a special drill bit, drill press and water running on the piece. Too much for me to undertake right now. But this??? Hubby has a Dremel. Maybe even some attachments! and water? Ha! Hit the faucet!! Thank you, thank you, thank you! Isn’t it funny how sometimes the simplest of things are overlooked. :)

• Ashley says

That’s what I thought too! But then I was reading through the booklet that came with my attachments and it said that silicon carbide bit could go through almost anything! :)

I love this idea! I just need to get my hands on one of those rotary tools…I’m totally going to share this for my Fascinating Friday post, hope that’s ok??

What a pretty keychain and awesome idea! And I would keep every single piece of a broken Tiffany vase, too!

5. Dorothee-Maria says

This is a very lovely idea, I like it a lot! :)
    Time to finally use my Dremel!

gorgeous! I went to a show and saw jewelry made from broken china but sadly I have no talent for designing jewelry…maybe you could do a tutorial for that one day??? please please and a chocolate cherry on top??? 😉

I’ve started comparing you to ‘Oprah’. When you mention something on your blog I go out and purchase it or ‘note to self – I’ve got to make that’! Bought my Dremel last week from Sears when you mentioned it a few post back. Didn’t see theAccessory Kit so while I was at WalMart I went to the tool ailse b/c I was looking for a bit to drill through glass and guess what I found?! The exact 110 piece Kit! Thanks for all your inspiring post; I love your blog. Keep the creativity flowing!!!

8. Nikki says

Hi Ms. Ashley, I was wondering if you sleep…I can’t believe how productive you are! And the ideas just keep coming–thanks for your awesome website!