Packing Tape Image Transfers

How to make image transfers with packing tape via lilblueboo.com

I love image transfers.  It’s something I’m always using in my journals but there are so many other fun uses for them.  All you need to make a transfer is a photocopy of an image or words and packing tape.  You can also use printouts from a laser printer or magazine pages. Inkjets will not work because they are not heat based toner.  So take some photos to the copy machine or tear some pages out of your favorite magazine to get started.

How to transfer images (materials) via lilblueboo.com

First, take a strip of packing tape and place it over the images you want to transfer:

Packing Tape Transfers via lilblueboo.com

Then use the back of your scissors or the side of your fingernail to make sure the tape is adhered firmly:

Packing Tape Transfers (burnish tape) via lilblueboo.com

Next, dip the tape and paper into a bowl of water to wet the back:

Packing Tape Transfers (water) via lilblueboo.com

Using your fingers, start to rub off the paper from the back of the tape:

Packing Tape Transfers (removing paper) via lilblueboo.com

Like magic….your image is left behind on the tape!

Photocopy transfer via lilblueboo.com

I like to use the transfers to wrap special letters before I mail them.  If the back isn’t as sticky as you need use a little tacky adhesive spray:

Adding tape transfer to mail via lilblueboo.com

It’s like having custom tape:

Fun way to embellish mail via lilblueboo.com

Another idea is to take a small canvas and use the images for artwork:

Mini canvas via lilblueboo.com

I used a paint brush to add craft paint to bubble wrap to use it as a stamp:

Bubble wrap as a stamp via lilblueboo.com

I just used my hand to press it down:

Printing with bubble wrap via lilblueboo.com

An easy printed pattern!

Printing with bubble wrap (art journal) via lilblueboo.com

More stamping with bubble wrap in this fun video:

Then I added my packing tape transfers:

image transfer onto canvas via lilblueboo.com

A little embellishment with a crayon….

Crayon Heart via lilblueboo.com

….and a Sharpie:

Sharpie Embellishment via lilblueboo.com

And it’s a cute mini canvas to decorate a desk or wall:

Home Decor using tape transfer via lilblueboo.com

I love the photo booth at the mall:

Heat based tape transfer via lilblueboo.com

You can also use magazine pages. Here is a page I tore out and applied packing tape across a few words:

Heat based toner image transfer via lilblueboo.com

An easy way to add transparent wording to a journal page:

Magazine image transfer via lilblueboo.com

It works for color or black and white!

Magazine image tape transfer via lilblueboo.com

Other image transfer tutorials to check out below or click here for all image transfer tutorials!

Transfer an Image using Contact Paper via lilblueboo.com

Transfer Image using Gel Medium to Wood or Canvas via lilblueboo.com

Glittery Leather Cuff with Transfer DIY Tutorial and Download via lilblueboo.com

Also check out:

How to Make Your Own DIY Glass Clings Using Tape via lilblueboo.com for party decor, home decor, table decor etc.

P.S. Make sure to sign up for my weekly newsletter.…it’s where I give my weekly rundown. Your info is safe with me…..never shared with anyone else…..promise. I don’t spam. Promise.

Comments

Comments

Melissa K. in Nebraska says:

Cool beans!

jeri porcaro says:

Wow! So easy to do for such great results and multiple applications. LOVE it!

Shyanne says:

This could be really cute for wrapping Christmas presents! Especially since I bought a huge roll of brown paper last year that I have to use heavy tape on :)

Michele C. says:

FUN!

Kristen says:

AWESOME! (said in a high pitch sing song voice)

Heather H says:

This is genius. Thank you!
    P.S. GUESS WHAT?? I just got my Choose Joy necklace in the mail. I LOVE IT!!

Love this! I want to put it make some and put it on everything!

Love it! Thanks for sharing. I’m amazed people are so creative they can come up with things like this! Good thing for the internet I dont have to come up with creative things:)

jill says:

fun! can’t wait to try!

lisacng says:

You are so clever! I love this! And I have all this packing paper from my move, so great way to use some of it ;)

Farrah says:

To much creativity for my mind to even grasp! Wonderful Idea!

Dorothee says:

Very inspiring, thanks for sharing! :]

So cute!!!! How on earth did you figure that out :)

Kim says:

What did you spray on the finished journal pages in the video?

Tiff says:

That is so great & creative. Thanks for sharing Ashley.

xo

Love these!! Must pin immediately!

Katie says:

This is an awesome project! And I still have a bunch of tape lying around from our recent move. I didn’t know it could be so useful that way!

Beckie says:

Great tutorial and video! Love how it turned out. Popped it up over on my FB!

Mindy says:

ooh love the bubble wrap idea too!

Lisa says:

I’ve never seen this technique before. I love that you don’t need to use expense gels mediums to transfer the image. Fantastic.
    x Lisa

Andrea says:

FYI there is a great photo booth app for the iPhone called pocketbooth

onel says:

Very useful tutorials! I’ve never known packing tape could do this! Love the bubble wrap and crayon idea as well, the result is so pretty! Thanks for sharing these tutorials!! :D

Beth says:

Just did these transfers with a cute halloween photo to put on the envelopes of my Thanksgiving cards! Thank you! It worked beautifully!!!

Caddi says:

Wow, I love it! I just tried it with old book pages and it’s like magic! Thanks :)

Tiffanie says:

I tried the packing tape transfer and wasn’t pleased. First of all it’s a lot of work getting the paper backing off. second of all it just looks like a glued the pic to a piece of paper, might as well just have done that because that would take less time. Cute idea, dissapointing results.

pamela says:

touched of love. cute.

Chaney says:

Wow, this is amazing!! I’m so going to try all of these ideas. You are so creative!!

Heather says:

I tried this and had a big flop with a class I was teaching. We were using scotch brand and the paper completely separated from the tape once it was wet. I think I’ll try it with office max brand (or maybe something similar)…all tapes are not created equally!

• 30

It probably wasn’t the tape Heather….I’ve used almost every brand of tape. Did you use a laser printer or an inkjet? It must be dry toner as the ink. Any other ink will not work.

Ariane Linnemann says:

Packaging Tape Image Transfer.
    It works.
    It’s amazing.
    Love it ♥
    Thank you.

Diana says:

does the transfer work with an officejet??? most of the printers now a days are officejets.

This is super creative! Love it.

I am loving the art journaling over the book pages. Can you tell me what the “paper” is you modgepodge to the page?

Thanks!

YOLANDA SETT says:

what a smart girl. Thanks for sharing.

ally ledezma says:

hello ! saw the cute tape idea and tried it but failed miserably :( im not sure if im using the wrong tape or what can be going wrong. I followed all your instructions exactly. please help really want to do this for my wedding. thanks :)

ally ledezma says:

hello! so many cool ideas ! I tried the image transfer with tape and failed miserably :( I followed all your instructions precisely as you instructed but still they did not come out. please help ! I really want to do this for my wedding favors. :)

• 37

It’s probably the printer you used. Can you try another one? Or take your printout to a copy machine and try that ink! It has to be dry toner ink. Usually the older the machine the better.

Amani says:

Love this,I am going to try it soon.

Josie McHale says:

OMG! So clever and simple. Easy steps that anyone can follow! I love it! Thank you so much for sharing!

risinghawk says:

I etch glass with a dremel and I’ve been trying to figure out a way to add something very special to their items. For example, possibly adding a design from their wedding invitation to their toasting glass then etching around it, but transfer machines are too expensive. This will work very well for me ! Thank you for sharing this :-)

Great hack! I was recently experimenting with photo transfer Mod Podge. This seems much easier!

Wow. just love this tutorial! :-)

Jennifer @ The Jenny Evolution

1. [...] I gotta send some snail mail…just so I can transfer images with packaging tape. [...]

2. [...] Packaging Tape Image Transfer: This tutorial is great for learning how to do image transfers using clear tape! This will come in handy for gift wrapping or sending cards this Holiday season! [...]

3. [...] This is a follow up post to the image transfers showed you how to make the other day.  I just wanted to show you another way to use them!  Tape transfers are a great way to make glass clings for party decor or home decor.  In this tutorial I made themed glass votive candles for Halloween and a label for a glass pitcher. My supplies were glass votives, regular packing tape, and a photocopy of Halloween clipart. I’m going to quickly go through the directions because you can also refer back to the original post on image transfers as well. [...]

4. [...] is a really cute idea to make a little piece of art.  It would be very easy to use digital supplies (word art?) to make a little canvas like [...]

5. [...] cool DIY idea for  your  thank you [...]

6. [...] I wish I had known about this sooner! I am in love! Check out the terrific tutorial - lil blue boo Share February 13, 2014 by Tara Edwards Posted in DIYTagged DIY, DIY image [...]