The Making of a Printing Table

How to Make a printing or silk screening table (and over-sized ironing board!) via lilblueboo.com

It’s about time to retire the cover from my oversized silk screening table:

Silk Screened Table cloth via lilblueboo.com

the silk screening process via lilblueboo.com

It holds little pieces of every screen print I’ve done over that last 2 years:

how to screen print via lilblueboo.com

There’s a lime and a butterfly:

lil blue boo screenprints via lilblueboo.com

Prints from every major holiday and a little of Boom Town (seems like so long ago!)

Hand drawn designs and sizes:

I think I might cut the cover into pieces and make some art canvases from it. It tells a story, right? What would you make from it?

*****

I love this over-sized table because it serves as a project table and a huge ironing board. Here’s what it looked like November 2010:

Mr. LBB made it by attaching 2 large pieces of plywood to an old smaller table:

How to Make a screen printing table via lilblueboo.com

I covered it with felt….

Make an oversized ironing table via lilblueboo.com

….using a staple gun:

Recovering furniture with a staple gun via lilblueboo.com

A final cover of white canvas was added. One of my first projects on the table:

No room for such a large ironing board?  Check out the tutorial on making a mini table top version:

A tabletop ironing board diy tutorial via lilblueboo.com

Comments

Comments

cathgrace says:

I always put down doubled old flat sheets on my print table so that I don’t mess up the surface with my printing (it does occasionally leak through but not often) I get them at thrift stores for pennies, they can go in the wash, and then the surface stays clean for ironing!

Brandi says:

Auction it off for charity…I’m certain there are many dedicated LBB fans who would love to have it! :)

Shannon says:

Make some bags out of the canvas…they would be awesome.

Amanda Lovan says:

I’d get some pieces of 1×2 wood and make a frame then staple the canvas to the frame and hang it on a large, open wall…or sell it! I’d personally have trouble selling off something that took me 2 years to accumulate and I’d enjoy looking over it with my LO and telling stories of how each marking got there. :-)

Sonia Garcia says:

Why not upholster a cozy armchair, you’ll be embraced by memories. Or a bean bag for Sienna’s room, my son would love that!

Canvas art is a great idea!

Kate says:

We just adore your blog and were literally in tears watching the Random Acts of Kindness video. What an amazing and beautiful way to encourage kindness in kids. We also silk screen (my husband is an artist) and you probably already know this, but silk screeners have a much greater chance of acquiring cancer, because of the various chemicals used in the process, and especially because of the benzene in the solvents. Please wear a good respirator with a charcoal filter. We have several professional silk screening friends who have unfortunately been diagnosed over the last 5 years. Praying we don’t end up in the same boat. All the best to you. We are huge admirers and fans of your beautiful work and many talents.