Boo has been begging me for a matching school uniform for her American Girl dolls. I finally made one today using an old uniform that she just grew out of! Here’s her doll Julie sporting the chapel uniform:
Boo’s first comment: Where is her cardigan? Yeah….I haven’t gotten that far.
Boo and two of her friends at the Micah Brown concert last weekend in uniform:
I made the tie, shirt and skirt:
The little logo was just printed out onto iron-on t-shirt transfer paper. Just make sure to print it in reverse!
The cute plaid skirt took a total of 10 minutes to cut and sew from the original:
Julie sporting her hot pink back pack. (It got it from Amazon for $7.25).
I made a simple shirt pattern and used snaps as the closures. I would have uploaded it but I still need a few alterations to make it just right. If you don’t want to sew, just buy a plain white doll tee or find a doll polo shirt to add a logo to.
The shirt was a little labor intensive. It will be much faster the second time around but I was figuring it all out:
For the logo I printed it in several sizes onto t-shirt transfer paper:
Ironed onto the shirt:
For the skirt I just took Boo’s old skirt and cut it wide open:
I reused the waistband and just cut the skirt down so it would fit around the doll’s waist (about 12″ around):
I stitched the side closed again…at a slight a-line angle:
I cut off the bottom of the skirt to shorten it. If it’s a pleated skirt you might have to use a seam ripper to take out a few stitches in the pleats.
A simple hem:
For the tie I just cut out 4 pieces like the following and stitched the edges:
Turned them right side out, top-stitched, and added elastic:
The tie closes with a single snap:
She looks so darn hip!