18 Elf on the Shelf Ideas (An Elf-Sized Photo Shoot)

18 Elf on the Shelf Ideas (An Elf-Sized Photo Shoot) via lilblueboo.com

I decided to do Elf on a Shelf this year. It might be the only year I ever do it so I’m going all out. If you haven’t heard of Elf on Shelf, it’s a little elf that you move around every night and your kid has to find him in the morning. During the night the elf supposedly flies to the North Pole to report to Santa….which is why he’s in a different place every morning.

18 Elf on the Shelf Ideas (An Elf-Sized Photo Shoot) via lilblueboo.com

(Mr. LBB found our Elf on the Shelf at Barnes and Noble)

Some people just move the elf around every night to a different location……others put together extravagant scenarios as to what the elf did during the night when he returned from the North Pole. I guess you could classify me as the latter of the two.

Oh, and each family is supposed to name their elf….ours is named Buddy.

Elf on the Shelf Ideas - Martha Stewart Elf

elf17

Drive in Movie

elf18

Trying on Doll Clothes

elf19

In the Freezer

CLICK HERE to visit all the Elf on the Shelf posts THAT EVER WERE.

Comments

Ok, I’ve heard people mention Elf on a Shelf but didn’t know what it was about until I read this. That is just WAY TOO CUTE, I would LOVE to do this too! Your photo shoot is just great as well, looks like so much fun!

2. Bev says

your elf is too cute! I never did the Elf on the Shelf, well, because I know that I would never keep it up for all 24 days!

3. Carolyn says

This is so clever….you and your family are making wonderful memories! I love this one and am of course pinning it and mentioning my daughter so she can file it on her “Kids in a Loooong Time Board”

4. Mande says

You rock! I love it! We bought our Elf on the shelf Thanksgiving weekend and the kids are really into it. Finding it each morning is so fun, but you have taken it to a whole new level. We will try out some of these fun ideas next week. :)

5. Sammi Hines says

Ahahahahahahahahahaha! These are hilarious! You’ve given me some good ideas for our elf! Which my daughter named Gnomeo lol. He is fishing in the bathroom sink today! Haha!

6. Sarah says

These are so funny! I thought that Elf on the Shelf was kind of creepy before, but your version is really hilarious and cute. I especially loved the PG-13 ones from yesterday.

Also, you are the most frequently posting blog that I follow, and it continues to amaze me that you’re blogging so much when you’re sick. Glad you’re finding the energy to do what makes you happy still. You’re in my thoughts, and I hope you continue to feel better.

7. Amy Forrest says

I love your ideas! My children wake up every morning and hunt for “Sweetie Pie” Thank you for the creative inspiration!

8. Megan says

Oh my gosh Ashley, thank you SO much for all of these hiliarous ideas! My girls jump out of be everyone morning looking for “Cookie”. They will LOVE finding him playing with Barbie, drinking syrup etc. Each one is better than the next ! You are SO creative. Hope you are feeling good , blessings sent your way!

9. Amber Vaughn says

I just stumbled across this and can’t stop laughing. Seriously sooo funny. Thanks for the laugh this would be so fun to do at our house:)

I love it! Want one for next year! I’ve actually started doing something similar with my kid’s doudous when they started school in september. They love it. You’ve just inspired me with new ideas, thanks!

11. Beth Morrow says

Lol…some great ideas…passing these on…your Elfie is a little
    stinker…I think he might take after his Mommie:)
    Hope you are having a great day!

Sorry… Buddy don’t look as cute as is supposed to look after the PG-13 Pictures… My mistake! :)

So sad we don’t have that kind of elves here…. I’ll have to try with another character.

Let’s be creative!

13. The Thrifty Mama says

So cute! My favorite is the the one where he’s playing with dolly. These are just so stinkin’ creative.

14. Dianne Brown says

I love your Elf pictures, even the PG-13 ones. I am a pre-k teacher, we have an Elf in our classroom. Thanks for sharing!

15. Christy says

These are so cute and creative. I especially love the “Elf”” reference. That is one of our favorite movies!

16. Dorothy says

This is so funny! To be honest when i first saw “Elf on a shelf”… i thought it was a little creepy. A little elf, siting there, supposably “listening” to what your kids want for Christmas… kinda weird. I guess i never really knew what you were supposed to do with it, i thought it just sat there. I love the pictures and the little stories that you do. Drinking the syrup, upside down, brilliant. And photocopying his little bum-bum… love it. Way to go Ashley (read sarcastically :), change my perspective of “Elf on a shelf”. I kinda want to get one. My daughter is only 6 months though… might be too soon.

17. Ingrid says

Omg I SOOOOOOOOO LoVe this idea of elf on the shelf. It’s right up my ally. So it’s probably a little to late for me to do it this year : ( But I wonder if my 6 year old will be too old for it next year….Nahhhh!!! we all love the magic of Christmas & regardless it can only be a little fun if nothing else. Thank you so much for sharing with us what Buddy’s been up too. He looks pretty cheeky…hehehehe Enjoy the fun & the magic it brings to our little ones hearts. xx

I’ve been out of town (Disneyland!) and just catching up … oh my word these are hysterical! I am SOOO going to use these ideas for “chocolate” our elf. PS- on our drive out to DLand, we passed the windmills (they are so cool at night!) & Loma Linda which made me think of you!

19. Kim says

OMG! I was thinking of getting our family one, but now that I’ve seen all the possibilites and fun this could bring, I’ve GOT to run out and get one! Thanks for all your brilliant posts! You are truly truly amazing. I’ve laughed and cried reading your blog since I started following you. You ROCK!

20. erin says

My 7yr old daughter came home from school today looking everywhere for “an elf”. She said EVERY house has one that comes from the North Pole and that ours just must be hiding somewhere. She looked all over the house. We don’t have the elf!!! Guess I will be heading to Barnes and Noble tomorrow. Thanks for the ideas!

21. Lindsay Varney says

Sooo cute! I love the little elf feet to track buddy down when he gets lost! Adorable. I think I need a little elf guy!

So, Ernie the Elf isn’t nearly as cleaver as Buddy. I think I’ll have to show him what his colleagues are up to. Super cute! Thanks for sharing!!

these are hysterical-thanks for some great ideas! i forgot to move our elf last night and had some very unhappy girls-this will help me make up for it!

24. Anne N says

My kids had so much fun looking through these–Buddy in the freezer with the scarf was the best. Our little “Shelfie” might have to start having himself some fun!

25. jeni mcintyre says

We just got our elf today and he hasn’t started getting into any mischief just yet. My question is, does he stay that way the entire day since he is not supposed to be touched?

26. shelley says

I love Elf and all the mischief he gets into. You are the most creative person I know, Ashley, and reminds me of the tooth fairy hiding money under your pillow. O no, I hope I did not give you another idea for the tooth fairy and her hidden life style. We all love you dearly! mom

27. Lori Lewis says

what happened to the pages, i didnt write them down, i need to see that page again please pretty please

28. JoAnna Scott says

YAY! Our Elf on the Shelf flies in the day after Thanksgiving, it’s name is Daisy Flower. My husband and I try to be as tricky as we can, but moving it from place to place quickly leaves you scratching your head! These are fantastic ideas that will definitly help us out! THANK YOU!

29. Kelly says

This will be our first year with our Elf, Elfis. We’re starting on Dec. 1st. I’m so excited! What are your “procedures” or “traditions” for putting him away after Christmas? Thanks!!

30. Chris says

I don’t even have kids at home..I’m a “Nana” and the kids have their own at their house but I loved the idea and bought my own last year..so I do it too and post what MrBojangles is up to so my daughters can let the grandkids know,, the ages are, 10, 7 and 5..he actually showed up this year the day before Thanksgiving because the 5 year old found his elf at home and was worried he wouldn’t know he was going to know he was at at Nanas house for Thanksgiving..

1. […] was Pinterest the other day and I found some really neat Elf ideas at lilblueboo.com Love them all, so imaginative. I only wish I was that creative. Filed Under: For the […]

2. […] Lil Blue Boo : 18 great ideas and photos here as well as her almost R-rated ideas for your Elf on the Shelf. The (mischievous) Elf on the Shelf photocopies his bum […]

3. […] posting on Facebook and on blogs. Bonus points to the pics w/ Barbie. I love those best Check out lilblueboo’s post. Love […]

4. […]  Let’s look through some pictures and then we’ll share a list of fun ideas, too! That’s Country Living has a mischievous little guy that was always finding tricky places to hide last year. […]

5. […] Lil Blue Boo has 18 great ideas from renting Barbie’s RV for an overnight camp to spending the night in the freezer when he gets a little homesick! Check them out here. […]

6. […] Someone should warn Lalaloopsy that elves totally cheat. From Lil Blue Boo. […]

7. […] Someone should warn Lalaloopsy that elves totally cheat. From Lil Blue Boo. […]

8. […] Someone should warn Lalaloopsy that elves totally cheat. From Lil Blue Boo. […]