Carving Rocks with a Dremel

How to carve and drill holes through rocks with a Dremel via lilblueboo.com

There is something very gratifying about carving into a rock.  This project was kind of therapeutic. I was thinking I’d carve some words into rocks and maybe start leaving them around Palm Desert to see if people find them….

I love large river rocks:

Carving River Rocks with a Dremel via lilblueboo.com

All you really need for this project is a Dremel (I used the new cordless Dremel 8220), a few different attachments, a bowl of water and rocks:

Materials needed to carve rocks with a Dremel via lilblueboo.com

For softer rocks a silicon carbide grinding stone is all you need. (it’s the same attachment that I used for the broken china accessories here)

Carbide Dremel Attachment via lilblueboo.com

I drew a sketch onto my rock first:

Carving River Rocks with a Dremel (Step 1) via lilblueboo.com

Then, at a low speed, I slowly etched my design into the rock:

(Note: Make sure to wear protective eye wear!)

Carving River Rocks with a Dremel (Step 2) via lilblueboo.com

I carefully went over my design, etching a little deeper each time. Every few seconds, I dipped it in water which cools the rock off and makes it easier to see what I’m doing:

Engraving River Rocks with a Dremel (Step 3) via lilblueboo.com

The finished carving:

DIY Carved Rock / Pebble via lilblueboo.com

I took a rag and applied a little beeswax and buffed the rock to a shine which makes the design stand out a little more:

Use Beeswax to polish rock via lilblueboo.com

Polished and ready for a gift or decor:

Use Beeswax to polish carved rock via lilblueboo.com

Some rocks are a little harder than others. I’m not a geologist so I can’t help you out here….you’ll have to experiment a little. Harder rocks will require a diamond bit for carving….or you’ll wear out the carbide bit too quickly:

Dremel Diamond Bit Attachment via lilblueboo.com

You can also use a polishing wheel for adding beeswax:

Dremel Polishing Wheel Attachment via lilblueboo.com

Sunshine:

Finished Etched Rock via lilblueboo.com

To make jewelry and accessories with rocks all you have to do is drill a hole. You can use a diamond bit on a drill or use your Dremel for this as well:

How To Drill a Hole in a Rock via lilblueboo.com

I found a rock with a thinner end:

How To Drill a Hole in a Rock (Rock for Jewelry) via lilblueboo.com

And used the Dremel to drill through the end. It takes a little patience, and lots of water, but eventually I got through…..it took about 8 minutes of on and off drilling:

How To Drill a Hole in a Rock with a Dremel via lilblueboo.com

A fun necklace with a suede lace added:

DIY Rock Accessories via liblueboo.com

Another idea….add a few words or a short quote to a rock:

How to Carve Words in Rocks using a Dremel via lilblueboo.com

Make a collection for the coffee table:

Tutorial for Carving and Etching Rocks via lilblueboo.com

…..or make one for a gift:

Tutorial for Carving and Etching Rocks with a Dremel via lilblueboo.com

Make sure to check out this tutorial on recycling broken china too!

How to make upcycled accessories from broken china via lilblueboo.com

Disclaimer: A big thanks to Dremel for sponsoring this post!

P.S. Make sure to sign up for my weekly newsletter.…it’s where I give my weekly rundown. Your info is safe with me…..never shared with anyone else…..promise. I don’t spam. Promise.

Comments

Comments

Oh la la I need one of those Dremels! I can only imagine all the fun crafts I could get into!!!!

Kitty Schaefer says:

I guess I will be buying a dremel tool :)

Gabby says:

I love the idea of just leaving these random places for people to find. Fabulous idea :)

sergio says:

Please be aware that Crystalline silica causes lung cancer. Please recommend the use of a mask.

• 5
      Irv says:

Close, but Crystalline silica DOES NOT cause cancer. It causes SILICOSIS. If you’re not also wearing protection for your lungs, you’re an idiot.

Madi W. says:

That is awesome :D Those rocks are so cute and I think you should totally leave them around town! I used to leave random notes around the school to see if people would pick them up ;)

-Madi

Michelle says:

I want to make some of these with messages for my daughter to find around the house. Could also make a fun game out of these. Fun post!

Sheila says:

Do you know what is needed to use to drill through that piece of china?

Sheila says:

Sorry I just saw that u said to use the same carbide grinding stone in your first instruction

Sharon says:

I have used the dremel on my fused glass. I put the piece I needed to drill a hole into directly in the bowl with water and started drilling. That way didn’t have to stop to let it cool off. I guess you could use it the same way with the rocks.

Terry says:

Now I know what to do with some of the dozens of rocks I’ve collected!

karen says:

Awww…. Thankyou SO MUCH ! ;)

Jenny Hoople says:

Nice post! Love the little sunshine carving :)

Another good drill bit for making holes is a diamond-tipped, hollow coring bit (I get mine from RioGrande) The drilling goes faster because your cutting out a tube instead of grinding away a ton of rock :)

My 4 year old is really into carving. Is this a tool he could use or is this not appropriate?

• 15
      Dory says:

Please don’t let your 4 year old use the dremel. While it does have adjustable speeds, it changes speed with the roll of a little wheel that would be all too easy to accidentally speed up. This is one of those mighty might tools :) It has a lot of power and would be very easy to loose control of, especially when pressure is applied such as carving in to a stone….better safe then sorry.

• 16
      Dan says:

Surely you can’t be serious? A 4 year old with a dremel? How about a scalpel, chainsaw, or a shotgun?

My 4 year old loves fireworks and sparklers, should I give him a box of matches and some rockets?

Stacy says:

Can you do this with sea glass?

Sharon says:

Thank You so much.. I am experienced in using the dremel tool, but I have been carving on Deer Antlers. Wahoo.. I have a lovely creek running through my land and will be out there looking at the rocks.. and can’t wait to try my hand at rock carving…Great idea, thanks for sharing…..

1. [...] a tutorial on how to carve rocks with a dremel. You can turn rocks into jewelry, paper weights, even decoration for the [...]

2. [...] déjà quelques temps, je vous avais parlé du Dremel, voici donc une belle idée (découverte sur Lil Blue Boo) pour l’utiliser et créer de jolis bijoux dans un esprit nature, des décorations de table [...]

3. [...] crafter should have some basic carving skills under her/his belt, and this rock carving tutorial from Lil Blue Boo is a great place to get started. Just think of the creative possibilities — [...]