Travel Map Bulletin Board (A Tutorial)

(Note: if you don’t have a Silhouette machine you can use state stickers or find someone who cuts vinyl on Etsy and see if they can cut a map for you!)

I recently made this map for Boo to keep track of her travels with!  I started with a 99 cent bulletin board from the thrift store and hot pink spray paint:

First, I sprayed a base layer of hot pink:

Next, I had my Silhouette machine cut out a map of the United States out of adhesive shelf paper (the template for the map was 99 cents from the Silhouette store….completely worth it). I peeled and stuck each state into place leaving a tiny gap in between. I also cut out the wording “Sienna’s Travels”:

(read more after the jump)

After the map was in place I used white spray paint to cover the entire bulletin board:

When the paint was completely dry, I carefully peeled off each state leaving the pink image behind (basically a reverse stencil):

The finished map!

For pins I took regular sewing pins and labels:

I cut a small strip of a label and folded it around each pin making it a small flag and then wrote the city name on it:

Each pin represents a place that Boo has visited. The little house represents where we live:

She’s slowly learning geography and so am I (which is why I left the name of the states off):

Visit my tutorial on Trip Treasures to see how to store memories too!

Comments

Comments

Really, really cute! I keep finding more reasons why I need a Silhouette machine and this is one of them.

Candace says:

Those silhouette machines are amazing! This is the cutest idea. Love it!

Ashley Clark says:

I love this idea!! I need a silhouette, too, I guess. I’m trying to figure out how I could make this without a silhouette…

• 4
      Amy says:

I was trying to think of the same thing! I may just have to find a cool map that I can adhere to the bulletin board and go from there. In the meantime I think I’ll make a silhouette fund jar.

Barbara says:

This is a great idea! I would have loved one of these when I was younger. Of course, I’d still love it now (:

Jen says:

That’s really cute! I might make one for my preschool class, something for them to look at and sticks pins into when they go on vacations kind of like a show and tell!

Bev says:

I love this idea! So cute and a great way to keep memories fresh.

Angie G says:

What a great idea!!!

Kate says:

Hi Ashley, cute tutorial! Such a nice idea. I was gobsmacked when you mentioned ‘silhouette machine’. Never ever heard of one. So behind the times!!! What a cool gadget!

What a cute idea! I should make on, we visited 23 states this summer :)

I want to make one too! Recently I was thinking whats the best way to teach my daughter Geography, and Malaysia should be easier, coz smaller than US obviously…

Brilliant Tute Ashley!

erin says:

I love it! I need another geography lesson myself. THis would be perfect for my little one to learn her states. We’ve moved quite a bit the past couple years w/ the navy, and I’d love for her to actually visualize all the states & houses she remembers. :-)

Jenny Ronimous says:

Love this idea!!! We have also moved a lot these past few years and have family throughout the country. Another example of why I having been wishing for a Silhouette just because of all the neat ideas you come up with. That said, would you be willing to sell the completed stencils for others to use?

Sara says:

I love this idea! Too cute … I sooo need to do something like this!

Brittany says:

I am so going to buy that template right now and get everything to make it. It will be good for my kids to learn and for us to mark our travels. I cant wait to make one!

Alexandra says:

What an awesome idea – You are so creative! Can’t wait to make this for my little Francesca.

Maria says:

I would love to make this!!! But I don’t have a silhouette machine : ( Are you willing to sell and ship the sticker template for the map?

RDNupefak says:

Где недорого купить картридж Brother TN 2075?
    Лазерные картриджи Samsung.
    У нас Вы всегда можете купить дешевый лазерный картридж Brother TN 2075.

Дешевые лазерные картриджи Brother TN 2075 .
    Всегда в наличии : заправка картриджей Epson, лазерные картриджи Xerox .
    У нас Вы всегда найдете заправка картриджей OKI и недорогие лазерные картриджи Brother TN 2075.
    заправка картриджей OKI для лазерного картриджа заправка.

Paige says:

THIS IS THE COOLEST THING I HAVE EVER SEEN! You just blew my mind. Whew. Just found your blog, you are awesome.

Love,
    Paige

Chrytsyna Johnson says:

I missed this one when you posted it. What a great idea!!

So darling! Pinning it to my “travel” ASAP! :)

Amanda says:

You and Boo should visit the Midwest! We could show you around Missouri and Oklahoma, then jump over to the inlaws in Atlanta. :)

1. [...] do you document your summer vacations and other trips? I recently made a travel map out of an old bulletin board using spray paint and a stencil for my daughter to track everywhere we [...]

2. [...] and Boyville Hand Stamped Leggings The Knit Headband Pattern The Cascading Ruffle Skirt The Travel Map Bulletin Board A Wine Cork Sculpture Vinyl Tablecloth Rollup Diaper Changer Folk Art Spin-spiration A Wine Barrel [...]

3. [...] Travel Map Bulletin Board via Lil Blue Boo [...]