How to Make Miniature Resin Photo Charms

How to Make Miniature Photo Pendants #instagram via lilblueboo.com

Boo and I made the little charms shown above using Instagram photos and jumbo popsicle sticks.  Aren’t they cute?  We made a few photo magnets with them too for our chalkboard wall. (Just a tip: make sure to use neodymium scientific magnets.….they are super powerful. But keep them away from kids under the age of 3!)

How to Make Miniature Photo Magnets #instagram via lilblueboo.com

They were so easy to make we made a “swarm” of them.  Great for charm bracelets, pendants etc.

Make Miniature Popsicle Stick Photo Pendants#instagram via lilblueboo.com

How did we do it? First I took jumbo sized popsicle sticks from the 99 cent store and cut them into square pieces. I used a razor to score both sides of the stick first and then actually cut through. This is the best way to cut them without weakening the wood.

Step 1 Cutting the Stick via lilblueboo.com

I used a large (finger) nail file to sand the edges to make sure each piece was perfectly square and smooth:

Step 2 Sand the Edges via lilblueboo.com

I used a tiny drill bit on my household drill to drill a hole through the wood. Some of them I drilled at the corner (for charms) and others in the top middle (for pendants):

Step 3 Drill Hole via lilblueboo.com

To easily and quickly resize the images I dragged them into Microsoft Powerpoint. You can use any other image editor if you don’t have Powerpoint.

(Note: if you have a Mac I bought the Microsoft Office Student-Teacher version for under $100…it was worth it.)

Step 4 Drag into Powerpoint via lilblueboo.com

Once I printed off my images I carefully cut each one out….

Step 5 Resized images via lilblueboo.com

….and glued each image to a wood square using Mod Podge. I also put a thin coat of Mod Podge over the images to keep the ink from running.

Step 6 Mod Podge via lilblueboo.com

Then I used Aleene’s Paper Glaze (or you can use Diamond Glaze)…….

Step 7 Paper Glaze via lilblueboo.com

…..and put a thin layer on top.  Once it was completely dry, I added one more layer. This gives the “resin” glazed look:

Step 7 "Resin" Pendant via lilblueboo.com

See how the glaze dries with a three dimensional look?

3 Dimensional Resin Glaze via lilblueboo.com

Once the squares were completely dry, I used a needle to poke through the glaze through the drilled hole and I added a simple jump ring!

Step 8 Finished Resin Photo Pendants via lilblueboo.com

You don’t have to use photos though! I made one using this “Choose Joy” image…..feel free to save the one below and use it for your own!  The background is a bokeh filter from Paint the Moon.

Today I Choose Joy Image Download via lilblueboo.com #choosejoy

Click here to check out more Instagram projects!

Comments

1. Michele says

I love this idea! Adding this one to the holiday project list!As always, thanks for sharing!

2. Lindsey says

I love this project and I hope to make these for all my family and friends…thanks so much!! I choose joy!!

3. Blair says

This is so simple! I can’t wait to print some of my special instagram photos and do this!! The magnets would make great gifts in sets.

These are lovely! BUT to avoid major drama, note that the glaze isn’t waterproof… at least the diamond glaze tends to dissolve when pity gets wet.

5. Michelle says

Love this. I saw a woman at our farmer’s market selling something similar but using old scrabble pieces and random phrases and photographs. I thought that was cool but this is even cooler!!!! thx!

This is so cute! I think these would make super-neato Grandma gifts for Christmas! Good thing I only have one to make for! lol Thanks for the inspiration! I’m pinning this right now! :)

7. Laura says

I love that you made these with popsicle sticks and didn’t have to buy any settings. I’d love to make a charm bracelet – and make the charms two-sided.

Thanks for the super idea!

8. Suzanne m says

Love this idea! Great gift for family and friends. I used to make these using Scrabble tiles–perfect size and no cutting needed.

9. Ellie says

Thanks for the Aleene’s Paper Glaze technique Ashley! Sounds much easier that using diamond glaze. We’ll be trying this one for sure!

10. tisha says

I am loving me some resin projects right now.. I do love the new “modge podge deminsional”. I don’t know if it is waterproof.. but I like it lots. Nice tutorial

11. Pixie Pixel Designs says

Just a note of caution, DO NOT use this type of magnet if you have a pacemaker, it can mess with it settings or destroy it.

:-)

12. Debra Lipskey says

Love Love Love your blog! So inspiring and fun…not to mention what a great sense of humor you have through the bad times as well as the good times. You remind me of my mother….she died of cancer in 1991 and she had the same attitude you have about cancer. KICK ITS A$$!!! I love that and have learned that you have to face life head-on no matter what it brings. Oh did I mention my mom’s name is ‘Joy’ as is my middle name. So I love your motto ‘Choose Joy’! Thank you for making every day a little brighter with your blog entries!

13. Debra Lipskey says

BTW………..love the miniature resin photo charms. Decided I’m making all my Christmas gifts this year. If you or any of your readers have ideas or suggestions for using mason jars, I would love to hear them. Have some of my own but am always welcome more.

In horror board games, the art and story background are becoming more and more involved and realistic allowing the people playing to get into
    the game. This could easily pass for a PSP game, but you’d never get this much quality for
    only five bucks on the PSP. Race your way to victory in the game Tilt Racing for Android.

1. […] My DD and her Littles are coming next week, and I think this would be a great project to do with her while she’s here: Little mini resin portraits. […]