A Sock Bunny (A Tutorial)

How to make a sock bunny. DIY Tutorial via lilblueboo.com

Move over sock monkey! These little sock bunnies are so easy and cute!  All you need is some nice knee high socks and some simple sewing supplies. I sewed mine on a machine but they can be easily hand stitched too!

Sock Bunnies! DIY Tutorial via lilblueboo.com

So cute as a gift or to stuff an Easter basket!

Knee High Sock Bunnies! DIY Tutorial via lilblueboo.com

Boo will be so excited to see these in her basket:

Easy Knee High Sock Bunnies! DIY Tutorial via lilblueboo.com

If you are making them for a child under the age of 3, just stitch eyes on instead of using buttons so that there won’t be a choking hazard.

Basket o' Sock Bunnies! DIY Tutorial via lilblueboo.com

I bought these cute knee high socks at Target for $2.50 a piece. They have a large selection of bright vibrant colors.

Sock Bunnies start with socks.  DIY Tutorial via lilblueboo.com

Step 1: Cut the foot of one of the socks right down the middle, but don’t cut all the way to the heel. The heel will become the face of the bunny and you want to leave about an inch before the face:

How to make a sock bunny - Step 1. DIY Tutorial via lilblueboo.com

Step 2: Cut the other side of the sock down the middle as shown. These will be the legs of the bunny.

How to make a sock bunny - Step 2. DIY Tutorial via lilblueboo.com

Step 3: Cut the foot off the second sock:

How to make a sock bunny - Step 3. DIY Tutorial via lilblueboo.com

Step 4: Cut the foot of the second sock down the middle. These will become the arms of the bunny:

How to make a sock bunny - Step 4. DIY Tutorial via lilblueboo.com

Step 5: Back to the first sock, hand stitch or use a machine to sew the ears shut:

How to make a sock bunny - Step 5. DIY Tutorial via lilblueboo.com

Step 6: Sew the bottom of the feet and insides of the bunny legs as shown…..leaving a 2 inch hole to insert stuffing into:

How to make a sock bunny - Step 6. DIY Tutorial via lilblueboo.com

Step 7: Sew the arms shut on one side….but not the ends. Turn the arms right side out.

How to make a sock bunny - Step 7. DIY Tutorial via lilblueboo.com

Step 8: Fill the body of the bunny and the arms with stuffing. Sew shut the bottom of the bunny:

How to make a sock bunny - Step 8. DIY Tutorial via lilblueboo.com

Step 9: Here is what the bunny should look like right now before sewing the arms on:

How to make a sock bunny - Step 9. DIY Tutorial via lilblueboo.com

Step 10: Carefully tuck in the raw ends of each arm and hand stitch it to the sides of the bunny:

How to make a sock bunny - Step 10. DIY Tutorial via lilblueboo.com

Step 11: A finished bunny before the face is added!

How to make a sock bunny - Step 11. DIY Tutorial via lilblueboo.com

Step 12: Stitch buttons on for the eyes:

How to make a sock bunny - Step 12. DIY Tutorial via lilblueboo.com

Step 13: Stitch a nose:

How to make a sock bunny - Step 13. DIY Tutorial via lilblueboo.com

So many options for the face….and so many expressions you can make!

How to make a sock bunny - Finished Face. DIY Tutorial via lilblueboo.com

Soft and snuggly!

How to make sock animals. DIY Tutorial via lilblueboo.com

I love how quirky they look….and that the sewing is minimal thanks to the knee high socks!

How to make sock animals - Basket. DIY Tutorial via lilblueboo.com

I want to keep them for myself!

Easter Bunny from socks.  DIY Tutorial via lilblueboo.com

Comments

1. Fawn says

Um, I love these! I am making a ton of these. And what a quick project! What size sock did you get?

• Jen says

They are the one size fits all knees highs at Target, they are in bins for about 2.50 each!

I love them but I think I would make the heel the butt so a nice fluffy tail could really stick out? I dont’ know. Maybe I’ll give it a try.

3. Dalis says

love them, and so perfect. I was spring cleaning yesterday and found a gazillion of funky brand new knee high and calf high socks!

— dalis

Super Cute!! What a fun gift-I have a baby shower coming up and I may be making a few of these to go along with the present I already have.

Thanks for sharing!

Kari

5. Sylwia says

So easy and so cute! No kids here either but def something I’ll store for later. I’d make one for my dog but he’d destroy it in no time!

6. Shara says

Your creativity amazes me! Thank you for always sharing with us. I will be makin these with my 2 & 4 year old daughters…also got my “Fear Will Not Rule” shirt today! I think the people at MD Anderson liked me wearing it :) Also helped me get good blood results back! MANY blessings & Prayers!

7. Beth Morrow says

OMGOODNESS these are precious and what my Lil dudes will be getting for Easter…thank you.
    Sorry, I’ve been so busy cleaning and sewing that I have not had a chance to be entertaining, but I have prayed for you.
    Love ya,
    Beth

8. Doris says

THANK YOU ASHLEY! KNOW i KNOW EXACTLY WHAT i WILL DO WITH SOME VERY BRIGHT KNEE SOCKS i BOUGHT FOR MY SPECIAL NEEDS DAUGHTER. i BOUGHT THEM FROM THE DOLLAR STORE AND THE TOPS ARE TO TIGHT FOR HER BUT WILL MAKE CUTE BUNNIES! DON’T KNOW IF SHE WILL PLAY WITH THEM BUT OH WELL THEN MOMMA WILL JUST HAVE TO PUT THEM IN HER ROOM. lol Opps sorry my laptop keeps messing up the cap lock. I already typed this three times. so please forgive me for not re doing it a forth time. Hugs and Prayers from our house to Yours!

These are so cute!!! I’m going to make some but have no idea who to give them to since my youngest turns 21 tomorrow. (Yikes, I’m getting old.)Will have to keep the directions for the grandkids years from now. Thanks for sharing!

I think Boo would want you to send me the argyle one… Yep, pretty sure! LOL! Thank you for sharing this awesome idea!

11. Trish says

Amazing! Picked up 4 pairs of knee high socks at my local Target. The pink argyle is going to my little girl’s Easter basket for sure!! Then, what a great present for birthdays!!! Thanks for sharing.

I have 10 all sewed together and now I am working on putting faces on them…they were so quick and easy to make!! Thank you for sharing!

13. Christy says

I totally love these. I made one yesterday and it was so fun to make. I did add a fluffy tail to the back. These are unique and thank you for sharing how to make them. I wish I had more knee socks they are $3 a pair here :) Again, thanks for sharing this idea. Parents of children should be aware that they contain small parts. (buttons)

• AJ says

How did you add a tail?…I made one, but was thinking about adding a tail too! Thanks for the tutorial Ashley!

14. Pam says

Saw this as I was looking for a fun hand sewing project for my sewing class at my kids school. They will love this. Thanks.

• Donna Burkle (ariebellsmimi) says

Mimi,
      I just looked at your bunnies! They are so sweet! Love the skirts!

OMG! :O
    I sooo in love with this littel bunnies! Hahaha
    They’re sooooo cute and random and easy to make and unique! ♥____♥
    I’m going to do (or try to xD) one for my littel niece! 😀
    Thanks a lot ‘n beautiful blog :)!

16. Karoline says

Just made one of these with my daughter, who is home from school recovering from ear tubes and adenoids. What a great, quick project, and there was quite a bit for her to help with, as these are so simple. She’s snuggled up with “hopper” right now! Thanks for sharing!

I was so excited about this. I have no children, so I thought I’d make one for myself. So I run to target, the socks were $1.25 a pair. Awesomeness!!! Anyway, I get home, make it, put it on the counter while I’m making the arms and my 1 1/2 year old golden retriever comes along grabs it and now it’s her armless bunny toy. I think she enjoys it more than her other toys!!! 😉

18. Donna Burkle (ariebellsmimi) says

I just wanted you to know, I made one of your sock bunnies! It didn’t turn out as cute as yours, but I still love her. I posted pictures on your flickr site. She is quite a bright color! Thank you for the tutorial!

Donna

19. Beth Morrow says

Ok…it’s bunny heaven at my house! I made 7 this weekend and my little 4 yo granddaughter had to have clothes on hers so I took a t shirt sleeve that I had cut off of an old tshirt and sewed it to a piece of elastic the size of the binny’s waist and boom…a skir…t then I made a little shirt out of a piece of scrape that I had used in a skirt I had recently made for this GD…she loved it! But not finished yet…NO…we had to sew some felt under her buttons on one ear and then two totally different sizes and colored buttons for her eyes. She wouldn’t go to sleep until I had finished her bunny so she could make sure the bunny was OK! I love it and I love these bunnies! The possibilities are endless!
    THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SHARING THIS TUTORIAL!

20. Laura Mottram says

I have made ten bunnies, all yellow in preperation for my daughters 3rd birthday party at the end of april, fantastic little party bag gifts

I love these I am going to have to make these. I made sock bunnies last year for Easter, but they were not so cute. I also made a bunny out of a glove for this Easter, but he is already being loved so I still need something for them to wake up to on Easter!

Thanks for sharing!

22. Carla says

Oh my goodness! I made a couple of these last weekend and I LOVE them! Super easy! I bought some poms to put on them for tails. I plan on making some more for myself and some more gifts. Such a cute idea. Thanks so much for posting this!

This is soo cool, thanks for sharing. I’m going to have to make one for my little girl for Easter. Awesome. :)

24. Allison Raddon says

I just tried this and instead of stuffing used rice to fill the bunny. Needless to say, he is a little rough around the edges. I said that yours look like something you bought at Gymboree and mine look like something from the Dollar Store! I guess that’s why you have a clothing line and I don’t!! Pretty cute anyway!

25. Kristina says

My sister showed this to me, and I had to try it! I made a bright pink polka-dot bunny today for my almost three-year-old daughter’s Easter basket. I’m away from home (and my serger) for a few days, so I had to hand-stitch it, but it was easy and fun. I’m going to make a couple more for my niece and eight-year-old daughter, and I’m thinking of different ways to accessorize them using the leftover sock material, and some other scraps. Thanks for the tutorial!

26. Tammy says

I made whiskers by threading some embroidery floss from left to right under the nose and then tying it in a small knot and trimmed leaving the ends loose on each side.

27. Leslie says

Just made for of these in one night. Super easy and super cute, thanks so much for tutorial. Also with the extra footless sock I made the rice tubes with lavender oil for those not so feel good days to go with it. Would make a cute get well set after easter.

28. tayler says

i am in love with this project. without even giving it a second thought, i went to target today an got the socks and made one. so super easy and totally adorable(and cheap)! im excited to experiment with hand sewn vs. machine. hey if i can do this (and im 13) you can do this and you will lov the end project.

ps. love the possibilities with the buttons super cute! im in love

29. amy says

FYI- Target just marked a ton of these socks down to .75C each! What great gifts, and you don’t have to spend hardly anything!

30. kirin says

These were so much fun to make!! This was our project tonight after my daughter woke up from her nap today. She is almost 5 and LOVES to help. It was a great family project because she was easily able to turn the socks and stuff them. Of course my daughter insisted I make that darn bunny a nightgown – so ours now is wearing clothing:) Thanks so much for the tutorial – can not wait to make more.

31. chloe says

Ive got a christmas fair coming up on our british army base in germany and these will be fab to make and sell, might try source some lavender to add in with the stuffing!

1. […] és hímezz rá egy orrot és szájat is. Akár bajuszt is készíthetsz.Az ötletért köszönet: Lil Blue BooAz elkövetkező egy évben, azaz 365 napban, minden egyes napon, egy újabb “csináld magad”, […]

2. […] on Easter basket goodies, I decided to sew her an Easter bunny.  And I couldn’t pass up this cute tutorial on how to make a sock bunny.  I found a pair of argyle knee-high socks on clearance at Target for […]

3. […] $2.50 each to make if you already have buttons and stuffing. You can see the tutorial over at Lil Boo Blue. And if you want to see the ones I made, you can check them out at my blog Assorted […]

4. […] Il coniglietto Bunny è un’ottima idea per creare un nuovo amico o una nuova amica per i vostri figli. Specialmente se le calze che usate sono piene di colori: i piccoli coniglietti saranno simpatici e pronti a far ridere tutti. Altrimenti potete divertirvi voi mentre li realizzate scegliendo bottoni e fili dai colori allegri! […]

5. […] vão os links de cada modelo: coelho 1, coelho 2, coelho 3, coelho 4 e coelho […]

6. […] Puppets by Molly’s Sketchbook Love Bird by Molly Chicken Easter Cones by The Making Spot Sock Bunnies by Lil Blue Boo Have fun! « Previous PostPinch Pleat Curtains – It’s easier […]